iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 iCloud Backup Saves App Data?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by LouieSamman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I have a iPhone 4S and pre-ordered an iPhone 5. I back up the entire phone using iCloud. My game apps for instance will obviously transfer to the new iPhone 5 but what about the progress? So basically will the data be saved?

2. benguild macrumors 6502a

3. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

In my experience it's like nothing's changed, passwords and the lot are transferred over.

4. cschmelz macrumors 6502

5. benguild macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? Even your Apps are all logged in and stuff?

6. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Almost all. I just did a full iCloud update today of my 4S to go from B4 to GM.

Everything carried over (Netflix, Hulu Plus) except some high security stuff (ADT alarm app)

Basically it loaded back 99% of what was there before, including logins (Facebook, instagram, etc worked without a touch)

7. newagemac macrumors 68020

Do a search at Apple. They have a couple of articles detailing the differences between iCloud backups and iTunes backups. There are a few. I can see using iCloud backup just in case something happens unexpectedly (lose your device, broken, etc.) but if you are purposely doing an update or phone switch, why not just do a full iTunes backup first and have everything fully restored?

I personally never have the iCloud backup turned on. Doesn't make sense to use up my iCloud storage when iTunes now backs up over Wifi to my Mac Mini automatically.

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if I need to update my iPhone 4 to iOS6 in order to be able to "restore" my new IPhone 5 with all my apps, settings, etc?

Id rather not update my IPhone 4 .. I'll let its new owners decide on that.

So basically are IClould "restores" IOS dependent?

9. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

I believe you can restore a 5.1 backup to 6.0, but not the other way around.

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Ok cool. So I'll backup my 4, then restore that backup to my new 5, then wipe the 4 clean!

11. benguild macrumors 6502a

That's exactly how I feel.
    I'm wondering what is not restored by iCloud specifically. I thought that the keychain was not backed up OTA for security reasons, for example.