iPhone 4S to iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R3fr3sh, Oct 27, 2013.

1. R3fr3sh macrumors member

This thread is just an opinion of mine, nothing intelligent to add.

Purchased my iPhone 5S on launch day thinking, I'm definitely due for an update. So now that i've owned the device for a while, I really miss the iPhone 4S. Just because it felt like it had a good weight to it, and it was an excellent design. Sure the iPhone 5S is lightning fast and a few more bells and whistles, the photos look about the same to me. I think I should have waited for the iPhone 6. Anyone feel the same way?

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Putting a case on my iPhone 5 gave it the perfect amount of heft. Also, no sharp edges!

3. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

I also upgraded from the 4s to the 5s. I like the new weight as I've gotten used to it. The taller screen is taking some getting used to still, but I appreciate the extra row of icons :)
    Adding a case does it give it a little more heft, but I prefer to use it naked. :D

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

You could just sell your 5s down the line and use that money to buy the 6, then hold onto it till the 7. That way you get off the S cycle, that's what I might do.

5. R3fr3sh thread starter macrumors member

I might do that, considering there is a wait for unlocked versions right now. Back to the 4S!

6. bigboy2011 macrumors newbie

This is what i'm doing, I came from an 4s. Nothing exciting tbh. Very plain and the same as the old models. Thinknig about returning and getting nexus 5 or note3 but don't want to pay $50 restocking fee.

7. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Is being on the "S" cycle better than being on the "regular" cycle?

8. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I upgraded from a 4. Still dont have the 5s but i really hope i like it. The thing i like about the 4 is that it feels pretty solid with the glass front and back. I like the heavy weight feel as it makes it feel more premium. The 8gb aint cutting it though so hopefully ill have my next phone by friday

9. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Depends. Do you get jealous when people have the "newly designed iPhone 5" for an entire year before you get your 5S? Or do you not care? If you don't care, the 5S has a better camera, and crazy fast performance over the 5. And they have to sit for another year with their "old" phone. Whatever floats your boat. I'd probably be on the regular cycle if that's when I got my first iPhone, but I'm also an early adopter kinda person

10. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

oh plz, the performance is barely noticeable from 5 to 5s

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Have a 32GB black 5 next to my gold 5S. The difference in speed is hardly noticable at all. Opening apps, games, everything.

& im not in any upgrade cycle. I just buy the phone at retail. Havent been in a contract in years

12. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Jeez guys chill out. I don't think many people think this, but I'm just saying some people honestly do lol. To be honest I think the difference between the 4 and 4S was much bigger than the 5 to 5S. Just because the 4 was not a fast phone, and the 4S was. Now the 5 was a fast phone to begin with. So the 5S is much less appealing.

I am also no longer on a contract. Bought this 5S (32GB) for $800 (with tax)

13. JGWolven macrumors regular

I came from the 4s to the 5s. I looooove the weight to the 5s. Never really realized how heavy the 4s was until I made the switch.

14. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Nah the S cycle isn't better to me. Bigger difference with the regular cycle than the S cycle, with the regular cycle you get a new design and an upgrade from the previous version, and with the S version you get the same design and SLIGHTLY upgraded version.

----------

I'm coming off the 4s as well but I enjoyed my upgrade but now I want to get off the S cycle.

----------

You'll probably enjoy it coming from a 4. Beautiful design, better camera, faster, lighter, LTE, just wait till you have it in your hands :D

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yeah same here. 812$ lol. I came from a black 5 and and originally got a "space grey" 5S. And I could not justify spending 812$ on a phone that looks almost identical to the 5.

16. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

You just need some time to get used to it. :) I was disliking the 5 first few days I got it :D

17. tttmac macrumors member

I still love my 4s, and plan to use it as a secondary business line or something like that on some cheap prepaid plan maybe tmobile 30 dollar 100min 5gig plan.

I still consider it the "Compact iPhone" and its so well made with steel and glass
    I ONLY wish it had LTE, then its future life would be way higher... Plus I have it jailbroken and I use it as my cydia access phone to download ringtones to reload onto my 5s. best of both worlds.

18. Izad macrumors newbie

Thanks for the confirmation!

I was leaning towards the same decision but reading your post along with others confirmed to me that I should just wait till the iPhone 6 comes out since usually the "S" upgrades are very minimal and I might as well get it when it is upgraded/re-designed more heavily.

19. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The iPhone 5 and 5S just feel hollow to me. That's the best I can describe it. I don't get any satisfaction from holding it like I would from something with more heft. I do like the design though. I just wish it was heavier.

20. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

I upgraded from 3GS to 4S and now 5S and no regret it is a much better phone, and keep in mind there is always a newer iphone if you want to play lets wait game why not wait for 6, 7 or 25 I hope I made sense:)

21. 997.2 macrumors regular

Okay? then go back to your iPhone 4S and stop complaining.

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have an iPhone 4S and I always wanted an iPhone 5S why? slight bigger screen size experience....Enough with 3.5 screen size for now. :apple: