iPhone 4S took the stairs by itself

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 92P92, Jan 2, 2016.

1. 92P92 macrumors member

My mom's iPhone 4S fell an entire floor down the stairs.
    The screen isn't cracked :eek: but the screens remains black. The backlight still works.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and if it could be fixed?

greetings and a happy new year
    92P92

2. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

Press and hold power and home buttons for something like 30 seconds. THe device could just be frozen.

3. applemac-repairs macrumors newbie

applemac-repairs

A black screen when dropped is an 80% chance the screen will need replacing. However do try the above method first mentioned by Xgm541, that should restart the phone. If no joy then you will need a new screen i'm afraid.

4. 92P92 thread starter macrumors member

That's the first thing i did. I pressed both buttons until the backlight was off. When i restarted it afterwards, the screen remained black and the backlight was back on

5. corys00 macrumors regular

Stepmothers use iPhone 4s, mothers that are loved use at least an iPhone 5s. Buy the woman who gave you the gift of life a new phone.

6. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Probably a loose cable inside. If you're adventurous you can take it apart, or a service center can do it.

7. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

The phone has a broken LCD the backlight cable is soldered to the LCD cable so it's not a loose cable. It's almost as expensive to replace the screen as it is buying a new one. I would recommend just upgrading her to a newer phone it's not worth staying at that model.

8. jessica0123 macrumors newbie

I was in a same boat with you before,the motherboard is broken and it cost me a big deal.

9. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

A
    Are you serious or is this sarcasm ? Maybe his/her mother doesn't want the lastest and greatest iPhone.

10. Nacket macrumors member

Nacket

There's a chance you might've popped out the ribbon cable for the display. Hop on over to iFixit if you think you can handle it or give it to a techie friend. Worst case scenario, the shock irreparably damaged the LCD and you'll need to buy a new display/digitizer assembly. I'm sure they run pretty cheap for the 4S now.

11. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

There aren't a lot of people in the world who would get offended if given a brand new phone.