iPhone 4S trade-in question!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weareborg, Sep 24, 2014.

1. weareborg macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I'm upgrading on Verizon from a 4S to a 6+ (preorder - expected delivery at the end of October) using the $200 trade in credit.
    My 4S lived its life in an Otterbox defender (ugly, yes); it's in pristine condition. Until today, when the sleep button magically, randomly got "stuck," so I can't turn the phone off. :confused: :( Is it totally necessary that this works for the Verizon trade? Is there an easy fix? I'm aware that this is a known issue. Obviously I would hate to spend $$ on a fix for a phone I'm trading.

Suggestions? Thanks!

2. Bluebros macrumors regular

I'd take it in to the store and see if you can get by without fixing it. Its my understanding that so long as it works, you'll get the credit. At the very least, you will know for sure if it has to be fixed.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I had the same issue with my 4s where the power button got stuck. One thing you can do is go to settings > general > accessibility > assistive touch : ON.

This will place a virtual button that you can move anywhere you want around the screen that will go semi-transparent after a few seconds of not using it. You can lock the screen by pressing the button then device > lock screen.

You can even turn off your device by holding down on the lock screen button until the power off slider appears on your screen. Be warned though if you do this the only way to turn your phone back on (since it's turned off and the power button doesn't work) is to plug in your 30-pin apple cable.

Good luck with the trade in :)

4. willmtaylor, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If there's more than 1 store around, say your prayers then take it in. Maybe you'll squeak by, but my honest guess is not. This way, you can fix it then take it to another store. I'm afraid they might remember you at the first.

Your biggest problem, however, is that the promotion ends on 9/30, so you don't have much time left to solve your issue.

Also, there are several threads where people are talking about their trade in experiences, so do a forum search for "Verizon trade in" and see what you can find.

----------

That doesn't exactly help him with the trade in though, does it?

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I would think it would in case he gets a sales rep, like the majority of them, that don't care / isn't paying much attention / just wants to make a sale.

Just say you are looking to buy an iPhone 6 and want to trade in your old 4s. Then just show them you waking it up, browsing the net for a web page or two, and locking the screen and I'm sure most reps would probably be like "Yayaya whatever ok, let's get you set up with your new contract!" ;)

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If only...but just don't think that would qualify as "good working condition." Best of luck to the thread starter though.

7. weareborg thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty sure you just have to register with verizon for a trade by 9/30, not activate the new phone. I've talked to verizon reps extensively (can they be trusted, who knows) -- they have all agreed that the phones don't have to be activated by then, because with the delivery delays, it would be impossible. Can't be without a phone for a whole month.

From the trade-in register email:
    The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 9/30/2014. Trade-in device must be mailed to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but no later than 11/15/2014. Device received after 11/15/2014 will be reassessed at current market value. Damaged and non-working devices will be appraised according to their condition at time of inspection.

Of course, I would love to just trade this phone - Also would depend if I could get someone to look at it in the store and explain the issue - It's in great condition and this would probably/hopefully just be considered a "minor" issue with the phone, which they are going to refurbish anyway, I'm sure.

I looked into the repair cost a little bit, and it looks like a power button fix would run about 50 bucks. This seems to be an issue with the 4S power button "wearing out." I've never had ANY problem with this phone, so of course something has to happen now, right? :) But 150 for the phone is at least better than 0.

You guys think it's worth it to just fix it? :(:(:(