Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trinity82

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Just bought a iphone 4s and it is different than my old Iphone 4. I cant turn off the 3G on it!
Anyone know how?
I went to settings...general..network..
I disabled data roaming and I still get the 3G symbol at the top left even when Iam in an area with WIFI.
HELP?!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There are some other service providers that don't have the switch as well. It would appear the yours is one of them.

Trinity82

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
There are some other service providers that don't have the switch as well. It would appear the yours is one of them.

Doesnt make any sense to me because I had an iphone 4 and I was able to turn off 3G on it just fine!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 4S has a different cellular radio inside. This newer radio has a lesser power drain when on a 3G connection then an EDGE connection. There are a few other reasons why, but I can't remember them right now.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I do not have AT&T. I live in Canada and my service provider is Bell Mobility.

put it on airplane mode to turn off 3G, since bell has no edge you would have no service if 3G was disabled. With rogers I was able to disable 3G on my iPhone 4. It was very easy to find in the setting. I with bell and there is no way to disable 3G. Put it on airplane mode and use wifi is the closest you can do.

Trinity82

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
put it on airplane mode to turn off 3G, since bell has no edge you would have no service if 3G was disabled. With rogers I was able to disable 3G on my iPhone 4. It was very easy to find in the setting. I with bell and there is no way to disable 3G. Put it on airplane mode and use wifi is the closest you can do.

I dont want to do that. I cant send and receive text messages if I do.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I dont want to do that. I cant send and receive text messages if I do.

well if you want to disable 3G you will disbale all cell service. I recommend you go with rogers as you can disable 3G and use there edge network if that is what you want. With bell(vigin), and Telus (Koodo) all you can do is disable cellular data in Settings, General.Network, cellular data.

If that is not what you want, I recommend you researched your cellular provider before getting service next time.

applemessiah

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
1.Jailbreak iPhone.
2.Install sbsettings thru cydia and that will allow you to turn off 4G(3G) data.
I get great Edge service where I live and prefer to use it to conserve battery.
Just for reference I am using a 4s running 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak. Hope this helps.

austinboy04

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
How to Turn Off 3G but enable WiFi with Any Carrier

Incorrect. It is possible to disable 3g and have wifi on with ANY carrier with iPhone 4s. No Jailbreak needed.

On any carrier:
Turn Airplane Mode on. Now 3g, wifi, location services, and bluetooth are disabled. However, this is simply a "super switch" that sets all the above to off.

To enable Wifi without turning back on 3g, location services, or bluetooth - navigate to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> On.

3g will remain disabled as long as Airplane Mode is enabled.

To turn on Bluetooth and/or Location Services, visit the respective settings page of each and enable. 3g will remain off.

Damn the man!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
My friend you have a misunderstanding of the network. Reason Apple & Bell as well as Telus removed the 3G option on the iPhone 4S is to prevent confusion mainly.

Bell/Telus/Virgin/Koodo all share one network (however Bell & Telus do have their own towers but are shared between the two)

Bell/Telus/Virgin/Koodo do not have a 2G Network that is GSM, they do have the CDMA network but the iPhone 4S cannot fall back onto it as the iPhone 4/4S Sold in Canada are the GSM Versions only unlike in USA that are CDMA(iPhone 4 on Verizon/Sprint) and CDMA/GSM(iPhone 4S on Verizon/Sprint) and GSM Only (AT&T <- Same one we have on Rogers/Telus/Bell/Virgin/Koodo/Fido) versions. (Please do not go buy a iPhone 4S that is from verizon/sprint as it will not work on Telus/Bell)

What you want to do since You still want to be able to send text messages and receive calls is simply turn off "Cellular Data" and your 3G icon will go away leaving you with just voice and text service.

If you noticed on your iPhone 4 since you owned it, the moment you turn off "3G" the network gets lost on Bell/Telus/Virgin/Koodo again providing you proof that Bell/Telus/Koodo/Virgin only have a 3G HSPA/HSDPA(HSPA+) Network running on 850/1900MHz and not EDGE/2G.

Only Rogers/Fido in Canada have a 2G/EDGE network where if you turn off 3G you will have the "E" icon appear and you will still have data functional.

Please Note:

- Bell Mobility Owns Virgin Mobile
- Telus Mobility Owns Koodo Mobile
- Rogers Wireless Owns Fido and Chatr Wireless.

Networks with 2G:

- CDMA = Bell/Telus
- GSM EDGE = Rogers

3G/HSPA+ GSM Networks on 850/1900MHz Frequency (Meaning you can take your iPhone 4/4S in Canada to any of these carriers if it is Unlocked):
- Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell, Virgin, Chatr, Koodo

Traveling to USA?:
- AT&T(Straight Talk, H2O Wireless, Red Rocket Mobile etc which are not owned by AT&T but use AT&T's network to provide service) will get you 3G on your iPhone 4/4S
- T-Mobile has a EDGE/2G Network Compatible with all models of iPhone.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

This completely defeats the purpose of having an iPhone. What happens if I want to send an SMS or call someone? What of I want to use GPS? What happens if someone tries to call me? Here's what happens, none of those things work. Why? Because the device is in Airplane mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.