iPhone 4S unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ardnite, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Ardnite macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I have recently purchased 2 iphone 4S's from someone who was upgrading their phones. they told me the phones were purchased unlocked. when i put my sim card in from tmoble it says sim is unauthorized. i called tmoble, they said AT&T has a lock on it. i call att and they refuse to lift the lock because i am not a customer. they also ran the IMEI numbers from both phones and say the phones dont even have an account linked to them at all, nor is there a record of them ever even being assigned a phone number. they didnt come up as stolen, subsidized, lost, or replaced.i called apple, and according to apple these iphones were never meant to be locked. they were distributed without carrier logos on the phones because they were originally sold as unlocked phones capable of international use and they said its "odd" that ATT would lock them. for the past 4 days i have been calling customer service at ATT and bombarding the unlock department with emails and faxes yet they still refuse to unlock the phones that they were never supposed to lock anyhow. does ANYONE know of another way to remove this stupid lock? one of the phones was for my daughter for her birthday, and it was pretty much all she really got this year for her birthday and now its basically useless because AT&T decided to LOCK a phone that was never meant to be locked. :mad:
    any help the community can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bring the phones back to whoever sold them to you and get your money back.
    Rule number 1, you test them to make sure they work and that they are really unlocked like advertised.
    Obviously the seller lied to you.
    AT&T will not unlock them for you.
    You can pay a 3rd party unlocker to have them unlocked but that can cost a lot per iphone.
    Again its not because stupid AT&T decided to lock them or whatever you are focussing your anger at.
    You should be upset at the person who lied and sold them to you and yourself for not properly checking them out before you bought them.
    Lesson learned I guess....

3. Ardnite thread starter macrumors newbie

if she lied, then why is it listed in apples system as being sold unlocked?

And yet apple confirmed that the phones were sold unlocked and that AT&T should NOT have locked them to begin with. the seller purchased them unlocked. apple confirms the phones were unlocked. AT&T locked them. i believe the issue here IS at&t. and when at&t checks the IMEI numbers they cant find any record of these phones ever being attached to an account OR having a phone number assigned to them.

4. Applejuiced, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt it but believe what you want.
    If they are purchased full price then they would really be unlocked. All you gotta do is show the receipt that they were purchased full price but probably the seller doesn't have that either.;)
    AT&T cannot randomly just lock iPhones not tied into their network with a contract don't you think?
    Maybe they are replacements under warranty and the old iPhones that were turned in were still AT&T locked.
    Either way in simple terms they are not unlocked like the seller described to you for whatever reason.
    It shouldn't be your problem to run around and trying to unlock them right?

5. Ardnite thread starter macrumors newbie

believe what i want......

both the seller AND the manufacturer say the phones should be unlocked. at&t cant even find the phones in their system... not as warranty replacements, stolen, lost, or even being used on their network. i agree that they shouldnt be able to randomly lock phones, i am not sure WHY they locked these ones. but apple themselves have told me these phones were never intended to be locked and that at&t should lift the lock. i think i will believe apple. they did, after all, manufacture and program the phone. lol.
    while i do appreciate the reply i am looking for information for alternative ways of unlocking them without having to deal with AT&T. a reliable way to unlock these without opening an account for 60 days with AT&T.
    But i thank you for your replies :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Again, why don't you just get your money back instead of having to deal with all this mess?:D
    Usually if AT&T cant find them in their system its cause they are replacement units that they were never used or activated on their network prior but the devices turned in were locked so the replacements given out are also AT&T locked.
    Like you said it doesn't make sense and if there were purchased full price they wouldn't be locked right? All you would need is a copy of the receipt that shows they were purchased for full price and AT&T would unlock them. But something is not right here obviously.
    AT&T wont unlock them for you obviously so only other option is to pay to have them unlocked.
    This place does it and cheapest option is $35 per iphone.
    https://chronicunlocks.com/
    Or just get your money back cause they're not what the seller described.
    That's of course if you can still get in touch with the seller and if he's willing to give you your money back. You never mentioned anything about that or the obvious that you should have checked them yourself out first right?

7. Ardnite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you i will check them out.

8. Nelson20 macrumors newbie

Hi i recently purchased an iphone4s from a private party and my friend updated it to ios7.1.1 and now the phone says its from verizon i tried to put my tmobile SIM card in it and it wont work im wondering will verizon unlock my phone even though i have tmobile?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not gonna happen.
    Read my other post in the thread you started earlier.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1752588
    Not sure if a gevey would work for the particular phone and ios version but worth looking into.

10. Nelson20 macrumors newbie

11. dgonzalez1313 macrumors newbie

Noooo!!! I have paid $9.99 from cheapestiphoneunlock.com to jailbreak and unlock my IPhone 4s Att. There was a FAKE!! I loose my money because they don't answer my emails requesting a refund.

12. exizeo macrumors regular

You know sites can't just remotely jb your phone, right? You have to do it yourself using Pangu for 7.1 to 8b2 and evasion for iOS 6 to 7.0.6.

13. dgonzalez1313 macrumors newbie

Yes, I found out after I made the payment # But I have good news! I could recover the payment through my bank #

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I consulted with the BF and he says that sometimes if the transaction hasn't fully gone through the system and you turn on a full price phone it does pick up the lock code. If the original purchase was before T Mobile was an official carrier that would mean a lock from ATT.

HOWEVER, assuming that no one did any kind of jailbreak and force unlock via that jailbreak ( and from the sounds of it they didn't or a T-mobile sim would work) all you should need to do it restore the phone and leave it connected to the computer through activation (then if need be do the onboard erase all to get back to setup to use an iCloud backup).

He's also confused as to why they would confirm the phone was locked and also paid full price and not notice the line a few down on the screen for the "next activation policy" which would have told them that after a restore it would be unlocked.