iPhone 4S Unlocked before activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by caw1986, May 18, 2012.

1. caw1986 macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 4S off Craigslist in the US. The kid selling it seemed very genuine.
    He said he got it as a replacent (he gave me the sales receipt which said "Replacement GSM iphone 4S $0.00) from the Apple store because his other one was faulty and was selling this iPhone 4S brand new.
    He claimed that because the iPhone hadn't been activated yet that I could activate it with any sim card I wanted because Apple ship the 4S unlocked and the phone is only locked to the carrier that you originally activate the phone with. I brought the phone straight back to the UK and have tried to activate it on the "Three" network but it says cannot activate iPhone, please contact a compatible carrier for a compatible sim card.
    Is there any way of unlocking this phone besides gevey?

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

nope there is no other way to unlock it other than giving it a go with AT&T as you already know about Gevey....if your lucky they will unlock it for you.....future reference never listen to anyone on local classifieds, people scam by saying BS like that all the time. The iPhone(s) are always LOCKED to their specified carrier even prior to opening the box, Only if purchased Factory Unlocked, then they will be Unlocked and will remain unlock forever.

Even if one were to purchase a iPhone from Apple store, if they get it for a Hardware upgrade/activated or buy it as a replacement or mention anything to do with AT&T most likely you will get a locked iPhone to that specific network....thats how it works out here in Canada, You can buy Locked and Unlocked iPhone(s) from Apple store so when buying you have to be specific as to what you want. Anyway he screwed you.....next time if a) the person hesitates to let you open it. b) you don't have a SIM/MicroSIM to try on the spot then do not purchase and that goes to all future members/buyers.

3. nephron8 macrumors regular

I myself had this same type of scam pulled on me through eBay.
    Luckily it was on sprint and I could get it unlocked.
    Also when retail receipt says replacement , chances are it will be refurbished or returned iPhone.

4. caw1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've now tried to activate it with an At&t sim after the "Three" sim wouldn't work. It won't activate with the AT&T sim either.......it just says "only compatible sim cards from a supported carrier can be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the sim that came with the phone or contact a supported carriers store to receive a sim card. Is there any way of getting into the phone so that I can check the imei number and at worst use it as an iPod touch?
    Thanks

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Use tinyumbrella.
    It should list the serial.
    I guess the kid wasn't that genuine as you thought.

6. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

He could still be genuine and just genuinely not know how this works.

It may be a Verizon phone. Call the seller and ask him. If it is VZW, ask him to get them to unlock it. It won't work with AT&T after that but it will work with 3.