iPhone 4s Upgrading from ios 7 to ios 9

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonemania6s, Sep 16, 2015.

?

Upgrade from ios 7 to ios 9

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I upgraded from ios 8 and its faster

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. I upgraded from ios 8 and its slower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iphonemania6s macrumors newbie

Can people share their experiences regarding the ios 9 upgrade on iphone 4s. My iphone use to run really well until ios 7 upgrade and I heard apple was going to optimize ios 9 to run well on older devices.

2. ftlum macrumors regular

I can't recall which article I read, but it said you'll get a performance hit close to, but not quite as bad as iOS 8. My iPad 3 suffered greatly on iOS 8, but is slight less annoying with iOS 9.1 beta. Also, the small screen on the 4s forced you to scroll more than you did before, compared to phones with bigger screens.

The article went on to say that they thought it was still worth upgrading due to the added features you get and that developers aren't supporting ios7 much now. Occasionally you will need the later iOS versions to even downloaded some apps.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you could download the iOS 9.1 public beta and undo it if you don't like it. However, I'm not sure it you'll get iOS 7 back vs iOS 9.0 when you undo the beta. Someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's a user with a 4s in the jailbreak forums. He had 8.x on his iPhone and claims it was a slow as molasses in January. He manged to find a JB method to downgrade to 6.x and swears he will never upgrade his 4s ever again.

Now that's version 8.x, and 9.x will probably be better but I'm not sure just how much.

4. nordique macrumors 6502a

It isn't as good as iOS 7, which ran smooth on the 4s, but its better than iOS 8 which was still quite laggy and choppy at times for me.

iOS 9 is better than iOS 8 with respect to smoother animations; it is not necessarily faster quantifiably but it does feel and look smoother. Especially the multitask switcher is fast and responsive.

At least for me, its a smoother and more enjoyable experience than iOS 8. Makes me feel that it could do iOS 10 lol. But don't expect iOS 7 speed. It is the smoothest experience on the 4s I have had since 7.1.2

Many users say iOS 9.1 (beta) is improving it even further, but I haven't tested that out.

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I don't really remember iOS 7 speed, but iOS 9 is just tiny bit better than iOS 8, so I suppose iOS 7 would be better, unless you want the features of iOS 8 & 9 (which there are not many anyway).