iPhone 4S users: 9 months later, how often do you still use Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 19, 2012.

?

How often do you still use Siri?

1. I've completely stopped using it/never used it

28 vote(s)
    25.2%
  2. Only a couple times a month. It's mostly gimmicky/not useful

17 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Only a couple times a month. I like it, but the servers are down too much and/or mis-hears me

13 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. At least once a week

18 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Nearly every day

20 vote(s)
    18.0%
  6. Multiple times a day. Fully integrated into my routine.

15 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I know a lot of people see Siri as Gimmicky, but I find myself wishing I had it a lot of the time. I think I would actually use it on a pretty frequent basis.

I know we've had discussions and probably polls like this a long time ago, but after almost a year do you find siri has become useless or has she become a part of your iPhone routine?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Don't be jealous. Last night I asked Siri how to get to a friend's house.

She told me this:

[​IMG]

3. King Shady, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012

King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Never. Only to mess with her or say "**** you Siri"

4. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

I think it has more utility than I utilize. I find myself opening the browser and googling what I'm looking for rather than asking siri. Force of habit if you will.

I've only used it a few times since launch.

5. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

Siri was useless for me in iOS 5. I only used it a couple times when texting while driving. Now in iOS 6 it’s another story. I have started using Siri again a couple times a day at least. It is faster and is able to produce much more useful info. If they would open Siri up to Devs I could see her being an asset but until then it will just be a sporadic tool for me.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I think that is totally true. My wife has a 4S, and I find myself telling her all the time (well I told her a few times, now I mostly keep it to myself not to be annoying) how she should have used Siri for something. It would be one thing if Siri were an app you had to launch.. or even if you could only launch it while unlocked.. but it is SO much simpler to grab your locked iPhone on the nightstand, hold the home button and say "Wake me up at 7"; as opposed to unock the iPhone, enter passcode (optional), find and open the clocks app, create a new alarm/turn on alarm.

For me personally, I would love to use siri for reminders. I do not like using the reminders app at all, so I just don't use it. it would be so great to just grab my iPhone (especially while driving, I tend to think of what I need to do while driving) and say "remind me in an hour to call X" or "remind me to do X when I get to work"

It's all these small things that, to me, seem so extremely useful

7. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

8. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

People have forgotten it's even on their phone that should tell you something.

9. BruceiD macrumors member

On to insult her when I'm bored.
    I look like an idiot when talking in English to my phone since I live in Belgium where they speak Dutch. In iOs 6 Siri still won't work in Dutch.

10. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who uses it to text. I don't know what he's f'in saying half the time.

11. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I use it almost everyday for Alarms, reminders, and with my car's Bluetooth system. The reminders app takes so many steps, to type the reminder, then set it to remind you (geo-fencing or time), and I also think of too much crap i need to do while driving... now I am much less likely to forget.

Last night, right as I was going to bed, I remembered I needed to get gas on my way to work. I asked Siri to change my alarm from 6:10 to 6:00 am... and it was done just like that.

12. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

I've been using it a lot more since iOS 6 dropped. But I am still using her all the time :)

13. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

I just have an iPhone 4 so I don't use it at all (other than messing around with it on my friends' devices).

I do occasionally use Vlingo to text while I'm driving if it is (relatively) urgent. and it works pretty well.

In its iOS 5 form, I think Siri is fairly gimmicky, and to be honest, I haven't read that much about upgrades to it in iOS 6... but it definitely has potential. If it could be used to do more on the phone and the voice recognition improves, my opinion of it could definitely sway from gimmicky to useful.

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

A similar poll was just asked a couple weeks ago:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1398396

Otherwise, my answer remains the same-

I use Siri daily.

It's extremely helpful with alarms, reminders, and pretty much for anything while driving; make calls, take down notes, or simply having it read an article.

I've found if I keep the notation somewhat short - one to two sentences at a time, it rarely gives me problems.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Everyday I wish I had Siri.

Just for text input via voice.

16. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Please explain

----------

Also, I have only ever had it tell me there are server problems once. I also have never had it get what I said incorrect either. So I have nothing to say in those regards.

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Did siri understand your question? you should have scrolled up and look at what siri thought you said.

18. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Have you used the Vlingo app? It's a decent workaround. It can actually do some things that Siri can't in iOS 5.

I found it quite annoying when Apple made Siri 4S only when the 3GS and 4 are more than capable of Voice recognition. It kinda reminded me of Android devices by HTC, Samsung, etc. that get about 6 months of support and then are left alone as new devices get all the attention.

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If Siri would work when I say "play that song by Bowie where he sings about the Thin White Duke" then I'd upgrade to a 4S toot-sweet.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I've downloaded it before. My only problem is the step necessary to copy and paste into the app I want.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's all it said. There was nothing else above it. I checked.

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I use her for alarms and timers nearly everyday.

23. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Hmmmm. When I use Vlingo and tell it to Email someone, it emails them. When I tell it to text, it fills out the text. I just use the 'Mail' and 'Messages' apps though... nothing 3rd party.

24. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I pretty much only use the dictation feature for texting. I've used a few times to set reminders. I wonder how well it would work if I needed to set a reminder while I was drunk? :p

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I don't think that's ever happened to me. I have gotten a few weird answers, then I scrolled (often it's hidden, you have to pull it down), and she misunderstood a word or two.