iPhone 4S Uses More Data than 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dim.jr, Oct 18, 2011.

1. dim.jr macrumors newbie

For those of you who have gotten the iPhone 4S, (coming from a 3GS), have you noticed that your phone uses more data?

I'm on a limited data plan, so I have to watch how much I use. It just seems that mine uses more data. When I was on my 3GS, I had it on EGDGE network so it would have a more consistent signal. Since the 4S doesn't allow you to turn off 3G, does the 3G network use more data just because its faster?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It does if you keep asking Siri dumb questions .:p

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I think it is more like iOS5 is using more data then the iOS on your 3gs.

Do you have iCloud hooked up and are you syncing data and documents over 3g? If so you might want to turn that off. BVut in general if you are using iCloud you will use more data. How much more just depends on what you have syncing.

No the 3g network does not use any more data then edge. Whatever function you are doing on your phone that uses data is not going to use more data on 3g then over Edge. It will just be slower on Edge. So streaming music uses the same data on 3g and edge.

4. dim.jr thread starter macrumors newbie

You are totally right about iCloud. I do have it on. That explains the extra data usage. Thanks!

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm confused...I thought iCloud only does backups over wifi, not 3G, and wifi doesn't use your data plan. If I go into the iCloud menu, it says it will sync automatically when connected to a power source and wifi is available, or I can manually sync it over wifi. Nowhere does it mention 3G. Am I missing something?

6. daftpunkstu macrumors member

Siri is quite heavy on data, icloud backs up over wifi so you dont need to worry about that