Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxmarkc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
£499 for an unlocked iphone 4s, £520 for the Mac mini entry model - at least in the UK.

Which one represents better bang for buck?

I have not made a decision about the iphone 4s. Currently have an android phone, and made a decision a while ago I would eventually switch but I am happy to wait for the right moment - and not sure which model I would want anyway.

An iphone is all said and done a phone. Its primary use is to make calls, secondary use is other forms of communication e.g. texts, email. Third use a connection to the web whilst away from your desk. Everything else is pretty much fluff.

A Mac Mini is pretty decent computer. Granted without a keyboard or screen.

Is it rational for the two very different bits of kit to be the same price?
For me it is a no brainer the Mac Mini has far more intrinsic value.

Does the cost in anyway bear any relation to how much is actually costs to build an iphone or a Mac Mini?

Or is pricing just dictated by what the market will bear?

I think the latter.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
no offence mate but an absolutely stupid comparison!
you can buy a car for £500!
so whats better a car or an iPhone?

the mac mini is only about £20 dearer than an iPad aswell

the iPhone is a phone,
the mac mini is a computer,
the iPad is a tablet computer,
a ford fiesta is a car,
a mars bar is a chocolate...... etc

i know that for the money a mac mini is probably better value, but i need a phone!

xxmarkc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
slightly unfair. Any car you buy for £500 is going to be well past its sell by date!

Having said that my first car cost £50 in in 1978 ish a Blue Triumph Herald.

I am comparing brand new with brand new.

Your are right the ipad is also essentially the same cost.

I can't believe in a coincidence that say all these 3 when you add cost of research+development+manufacturing+marketing all come up at nearly the same.

I think Apple must work back from what they think they can sell a product for in the market and then work out how to minimise the actual cost of each item to maximise profit.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I think Apple must work back from what they think they can sell a product for in the market and then work out how to minimise the actual cost of each item to maximise profit.

Apple's CEO is Tim Cook. Get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.