iPhone 4S Verizon Intl Roaming

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eric.men, Dec 8, 2011.

1. eric.men macrumors newbie

I am planning to take my iPhone 4S on Verizon to Taiwan in a couple of weeks. I have a couple of questions. The last time I went to Taiwan, I brought the iPhone 4 on Verizon with me. I could not get data, only voice, because the CDMA network there only supported voice. Now that the 4S has GSM bands inside, when I land, will the phone automatically go to GSM or do I need to to switch a setting? If I need to switch a setting, where is that setting located? When I am in Taiwan on GSM mode, will there be a Carrier Menu so I can switch between the differnt GSM carreirs that verizon has agreements with? Also, where in the States, by the signal bars you would see Verizon, what will be displayed there? Would it say "Roaming" and the Carriers name? Thanks!

2. eric.men thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

You should just unlock the 4s before you go. buy a sim card when you land. Much much cheaper. google for instructions. Call verizon. I just did mine. You will need and international sim card to unlock. Get one one one eBay or amazon.

4. SporkLover macrumors 6502

if your phone is unlocked, when you put another sim in the phone it should automatically look for a GSM network.

5. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

Correct. However, there is an initial process that requires iTunes for the very first time. From then on you can swap the sims out when and when you want.

6. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Didn't realize things were different for Verizon phones, I was able to do so without the usage of iTunes whatsoever.

7. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

To be fair, it's still up for a debate. I have called verizon twice and got both answers (need, don't need). I have read the same thing on the web. The first verizon guy I talked to said he was their 4s unlock expert and absolutely said you needed itunes for ONLY the first time you do the unlock with a foreign sim. From then one, you can swap as you see fit. Just not sure who to believe :)

I have only done the initial unlock with version. I still need my foreign sim card which comes next week. I will try to update what happens.

8. wiserjoe13 macrumors newbie

i think he's not asking about the unlock he's asking about the gsm roaming but it should automatically switch over but make sure to get a data plan before u go (sry for the late post)