iPhone 4s w/ NO SERVICE but still makes calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacRacer, Dec 2, 2011.

1. MacRacer macrumors regular

Its just the weirdest thing. Today, December 2nd, 2011, my brand new iPhone 4S started acting weird. I don't know what is going on. I have tried to reinstall 5.0.1 and nothing happens. Basically, I am able to make and send calls but my iPhone says there is "NO SERVICE". It so odd. No service but I can receive calls and make them. I taking it back to Apple to have them look at it. My parents 3GS are not affected by it for some odd reason even though they are running 5.0.1. I am wondering if anyone's iPhone is doing this too.

I also want to note that there is no internet and I can't send text messages.

[​IMG]

This is some time after while I was still on the phone, Wi-Fi was on.

[​IMG]

After that, I turned off my Wi-Fi and called my Mom's iPhone and it went through.

[​IMG]

I want to here some thought on this.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What cell provider? If you can take out a micro SIM card do that and put it back in to see if that fixes it.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Sounds like a glitch with how the service indicator is reporting the information. True no service means no service.

4. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

AT&T. It the 64GB version. I took the sims car out but it just says Searching.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I had something similar happen to me on my 4. Try popping out the sim card, lightly dust it, blow any dust in the sim slot. After that, insert the sim card with a strong push. Basically just shove it in once you get part of the tray in the slot. This worked for me.

6. atomicbloke macrumors member

7. rookiezzz macrumors regular

Those pictures are so scary.. It's like calls from the ghosts..

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Even with no service, all phones are supposed to be able to make 911 calls; perhaps something is mixed up somewhere.

Edit...oops...that doesn't sound right... Maybe the phone is showing "no service" incorrectly?

Maybe someone put something in my dinner....

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's what I was thinking. I had a similar thing happen to me when my SIM card went bad. They can cause some really weird things to happen.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Once mine received a call with the sim card removed.

My Android can't do that. So I returned it. Android is dreadful.

11. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

Opps, I forgot about this thread I started. I ended up doing a system restore. I re downloaded the update to 5.0.1. the full update and restored the phone. It must be a small glitch when i did the over air update. so I haven't had any issue with it since when I started this thread.