iPhone 4s will change the world mark my words

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shk718, Oct 7, 2011.

1. shk718, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

shk718 macrumors 65816

People are saying that this phone is an incremental upgrade. That the ui is dated and needs an update. Well I feel this update is huge. That the ui has been rewritten. Because of Siri the ui has completely changed. It no longer exists. You no longer need to "see" it. It disappears, as it should. And this is what steve wanted all along Do we see the ui in our brains? - no. We just think of doing something -find a memory for example and it does it. We don't know how nor do we care or need to know (unless you're a doctor). It just works and we are completely oblivious as to how it does it. This is how a computer should work. Not all these folders and programs and start menus and task managers. You should worry about how you're going to edit a picture -not how to find it and import it into your photo editor. I think iPhone 4s just changed the world and no one realizes it just yet. im glad steve jobs lived long enough to see his vision come true. Jmho

2. Icculus macrumors 6502

Nice post, and I agree with you.

Speaking of Jobs' vision did you see his WWDC speech in 1996 right before he came back to Apple? He was talking about cloud computing (although he didn't say cloud) and it was erie to hear him talk about all these things that just now apple is pushing out. I was happy that he saw this vision come through before he passed. A 15 year goal achieved...jobs for the win.

3. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. I did see it it was amazing how far into the future he could see. Infact when they were building the WWW they used his nextstep computers because they were the first/best networked computers around. And what's really interesting is what he was talking about is really a mainframe architecture with a central core and dumb terminals. Which is the next step for cloud computing. It'll be interesting to see if ultimately we head in that direction. It's so sad that he passed away. Had he lived he would have brought the world into the next phase of computing.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Although I agree this is very innovative, I believe I will take more than a UI change on our smart phones to change the world. #firstworldproblem

Perspective is a wonderful thing...

5. 2010RS macrumors 6502

6. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Siri is really good but it has its disadvantages. When you're in public, touch input is better than voice. Using Siri in public would look dumb.

There's no denying that the UI is dated, look at the homepage which is just stacks of icons. Its been around since the first iPhone and is so static. I'm not saying Android's is better, Apple can definitely come up with something better.

What makes iPhone better than the rest is the refined interface and Apple's attention to detail.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Siri will indeed change the way you want to interact with the work, not just your phone.

I want to talk to my microwave, tell it I just put in 500g of frozen chicken, please thaw without cooking...

8. cward0715 macrumors regular

In my eyes there is nothing specifically new about the iPhone 4s to "change the world." It is true that the original iPhone was an enormous world changer, but this incremental upgrade in and of itself isn't enough to change the world.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I think this will be a good phone. Honestly, I think all the iterations up from the first one all the way to the recent most are worthy opponents. But every year I see people bashing the current/future version just because they aren't eligible or don't want it. For instance, these are the comments that i've seen for each upgrade for people who AREN"T getting it (from a previous model):
    iPhone 3G (not too much complaints though because everyone was eligible for the subsidized price) : "This is great but the next iPhone is going to be so much better!
    iPhone 3G : Bah! It's just an incremental upgrade! The iPhone 4 is going to be so much better !
    iPhone 4 : Meh. It's cool. But i'm holding out for the iPhone 5! It's going to be so much better!
    iPhone 4 : Yawn! It's cool, but i'm holding out for the iPhone 5! It's going to be....
    Point is, obviously the next phone is going to be better in some way compared to what we have now, but that doesn't negate the strengths of the current model.

10. Ricko101 macrumors member

I posted this on the Siri thread a few minutes ago... waiting for Siri to be available on the Mac.

I'd love to just be able to say:

Email Paul and tell him that I'll be there at 8 o'clock"

instead of clicking on the email program, click new message, type the name/address, tab to the Subject, type the subject, tab to the field and type the message and than click send.

I'll use the iPhone 4S to do my emails from now on... :D

11. sddabrow macrumors 6502

I have to disagree with many of you that say it will "look dumb" in public to use Siri.

I get the feeling that since the iPhone is so popular and is known amongst practically every one, it will be adopted as standard practice.

At the beginning, you may get odd looks. But once it takes off, which the iPhone always does, people will understand why you are "talking to your phone" since they will be doing it too.

Of course, it won't be used in quiet seminars or quiet bus rides, but it will be used with people on the move with bluetooth or headphones plugged in.

12. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

I just want to know if Siri can make a sandwich... because that would be awesome... and if it can't than it best be able to hop on the Jimmy Johns website and have one delivered for me...

13. maconservative macrumors regular

maconservative

Or fire up the griddle and make some pancakes...
    :D

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Think chaos theory. A butterfly passing through a garden likely changes the world, albeit in ways we might not notice. So the iPhone getting some AI behind voice technology, for example, is likely to change SOMETHING about the world we live in. And we probably will notice.

It might just make it more dangerous. Imagine all these idiots running around with their hands-free and bluetooth headsets in their SUVs telling their humble personal assistants to remind them to pick up the dry cleaning on the way home, call mom on the way home, stop at the green... no... red light on the way home...

The laws of unintended consequences will pertain as usual, and the consequences are usually pretty interesting. I will like Siri, I think. I can see telling it to fetch project photos by album name or whatever as they improve the thing's grasp of its virtual environment and how various apps and docs are related. I just won't like discovering what happens if Siri misunderstands what I say and I don't realize some "undo" is required until too late. Well that's what Time Machine restores are for, I guess.

15. davidlw macrumors 6502a

It will be a great phone but change the world, maybe not. I don't folks on a mountain in Tibet will be getting one, just saying. But I will!

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

*ZING*

Siri could be cool if it works. But it needs to be nearly flawless. Currently, voice control is a joke. I ask it to play a playlist and it dials my mom.

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Many of don't understand why this phone will change the world. It has nothing to do with everyone on the planet owning one, and everything to do with talking to an AI assistant, in natural language, that you carry in your pocket.

Remember Star Trek and talking to the computer? It did not completely replace the touch interface for everything, but it could be used for virtually anything.

Siri will wake the world up to the real possibility of simply talking to your phone, iPad, computer, television, microwave, whatever....

18. Zeonmx macrumors member

Then the world is ****ing screwed if this half-ass phone can change the world.

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

OP, I completely agree with you! The iPhone 4S is the beginning of a fundamental shift in how we interface with computers...

20. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Oh no, you will always have the douchebags who will do this in public in quiet settings. You know this will happen.

21. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Agree here and Siri gonna be my next GF even better if she will cook! :D

22. Blinny83 macrumors member

I agree with the OP. Voice control has been around for a long time, and it has sucked. It's something that needs to be nearly flawless in order to be adopted. It's kind of an "all or nothing" feature. If anyone can do it right, it's Apple.

23. shk718, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

Exatly what I was thinking! This is the first AI UI that looks like it'll work and was completely thought out. Will this one phone change the world -no. But will the concepts in it when they start to get applied to other devices -yes. (and when I say change the world I don't mean everyone will suddenly become nice. I mean change our behavior. Change the way we interact with computers and other devices. Open a new world for people - the elderly who don't understand computers, children who can't type, the blind. Just like the modern smart phone can be traced back to the iPhone this new type of ui will be traced back to this phone. These aren't new concepts - Star Trek came up with them back in the 60's but this is the first personal device where they worked.

24. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

I agree with that 100%^ it is a PITA SO I never use it

25. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Well said. I'm with you, Most people don't know how amazing Siri is going to be. This is going to change the way we use a cell phone. :D