iPhone 4s, will it allow activation remotely?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theinstructor, Oct 6, 2011.

1. theinstructor macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2007
    As in not connected to iTunes whatsoever? If so, then I would presumably restore my data from the iCloud at that time. I am on iOS 5 as it is and backed up to the cloud. Thanks team. :apple:
  2. carbonfly macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2007
    It ships with iOS 5 so that should be how it works. Just restore from backup....assuming you have an online backup already in the cloud from using iOS 5 beta on your iPhone 4.
  3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nov 20, 2008
    New York
    You SHOULD be able to do everything from the phone itself. It's "pc-less" now.
  4. ripper998 macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2010

I thought they wiped the cloud clean when they release the new iOS?
  5. Advil macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2008
    Yup, it ships with iOS 5 and you can do everything directly from the device now!

My plan is to update my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 the day before I get my 4S, start from scratch and get it all set up, then when my 4S arrives, just restore from that iCloud backup and be ready to go immediately :)
  6. carbonfly macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2007
    They did a reset last week i think, but i've been able to create a new backup since then. I guess they could do another reset of they wanted.
  7. profets macrumors 68040

Mar 18, 2009
    More recently they wiped iCloud music that was connected with iTunes match. A few weeks back I think they wiped iCloud backups (late september).

When I installed iOS5 GM on my iPad and iPhone I was able to do activation and a restore from iCloud (ran a backup wirelessly before installing the GM)
  8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

May 25, 2009
    Yes, in this crazy "post-PC" world you can activate the device and restore from an iCloud backup without ever plugging into a computer.