iPhone 4s with black screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by magicpinkdrink, Feb 8, 2012.

1. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

My husband works at an authorized reseller for Verizon, and the iPhone 4s they have on display has had a black screen for a few days now. The screen will flicker if you hit the home or lock buttons and you can activate Siri and use her still.

Being that I am the iPhone guru in the family, he called me down to come look at it. I tried a hard reset (holding the home and lock buttons until the apple pops up) and got the apple to pop up. Once it booted I was able to see the lock screen and swipe to unlock it. Once unlocked I was able to view the home screen for a few seconds before it went black again.

Short of hooking it up to iTunes and doing a restore, which would be difficult as its a display phone and glued to the security device, I don't know what else to tell them to try. They are wondering if someone messing around with it changed a setting that is causing this which I find unlikely. I'm more leaning towards the phone being damaged internally somehow.

Has anyone experienced this, and were you able to resolve it in anyway? Any advice is appreciated :)

2. verwon, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There are settings directly in the phone to do a restore.

Nevermind, that's not much help if you can't see to find it.

3. magicpinkdrink thread starter macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

Yes, I realize I can do a restore right from the phone, however the screen is black and I can't navigate into anything but Siri without the screen being usable. Like I said, when I did get the phone to boot and show the home screen, it only lasted a few seconds before going black again. Is there any command for Siri that would restore the phone?

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Could you take a laptop over to the display? Siri can't currently do anything like start a restore.

5. magicpinkdrink thread starter macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I'm thinking I will have to try hooking it to a laptop and trying a restore to see if that helps. The company he works for is more all about android and could care less about iPhones so I doubt they will do anything. I'm stubborn though, and am bound and determined to fix this phone if I can!

Also thinking I need to start charging them for my iPhone expertise. Lol. Very time they have an iPhone question or issue they call me cuz they know I'm a total apple fangirl and I spend hours a day on the macrumors forums.