Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I will eventually get the simple choice plan or the walmart 30 dollar plan, not sure if i qualify for this or not because i will be buying a used iphone 4s unlocked.

I know the simple choice plan 50+ is unlimited minutes, data and text but data is 4g up to 2.5gb then its 2g since most phones are 4g capable.

I know the iphone 4s is not 4g capable... so that means with this plan, it will be 3g up to 2.5gb for the month and then 2g? Or would it be 2g the entire way? I can not imagine it be 2g the entire way but this plan doesn't seem to say 3g anymore?

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Im bit confused. Isn't the iphone 4s only 3g and below though? I read it wasn't compatible with 4g and its only iphone 5?

So one of you say 4g other one say fast 3g...

So if its 3g, is it 3g for the whole thing for 3g for first 2.5gb and then 2g?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
T-Mobile and AT&T call their HSPA+ networks "4G." In reality it is just a newer version of 3G that has measurably faster speeds. What those carriers are calling "4G" is not the same thing as LTE.

If you're on the refarmed network, your phone will say "4G."

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I believe the iPhone 4S is only capable to HSPA, not HSPA+ if I'm not mistaken. So the OPs device will most likely get speeds in the 3- 5Mbps maybe up to 7Mbps range.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I will eventually get the simple choice plan or the walmart 30 dollar plan, not sure if i qualify for this or not because i will be buying a used iphone 4s unlocked.

I know the simple choice plan 50+ is unlimited minutes, data and text but data is 4g up to 2.5gb then its 2g since most phones are 4g capable.

I know the iphone 4s is not 4g capable... so that means with this plan, it will be 3g up to 2.5gb for the month and then 2g? Or would it be 2g the entire way? I can not imagine it be 2g the entire way but this plan doesn't seem to say 3g anymore?
4S does not support 4G/LTE
4S does support 3G/HSPA and 4G/HSPA+ upto 14mbps on refarmed 1900PCS band only (not their 1700/2100 band)
4S does support Edge

If you are in a refarmed 1900PCS area (http://www.phonedog.com/2013/03/15/...ies-one-user-finds-small-patch-of-lte-in-nyc/) you can link at 4G/HSPA+ 14mbps speed with a iPhone 4S. If not, you'll have edge. Even if you are in a refarmed zone, it could be unusually spotty and only have edge..

Later s/n iPhone 5's since March of last year, and all 5C/5S:
Support 4G/LTE
Support 3G/HSPA and 4G/HSPA+ all bands 42mbps
Support Edge

You're best/safest bet is to get a 5C. You get the newer lightning interface, it's 2 years newer so you'll get more updates in the future. Full 4G band support.

----------

Im bit confused. Isn't the iphone 4s only 3g and below though? I read it wasn't compatible with 4g and its only iphone 5?

So one of you say 4g other one say fast 3g...

So if its 3g, is it 3g for the whole thing for 3g for first 2.5gb and then 2g?

It'll be the highest speed your handset supports for the first 2.5GB, then drop to Edge. Which actually works surprisingly well for maps, imessage, tapatalk, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.