iPhone 4s without net lock? where to get it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chillhase, Oct 6, 2011.

1. chillhase macrumors member

Hi,

I think my case is kind of special, so i open a new topic. I didn't find anything on the web.

so I am currently in the u.s. but only for 7 more month. I would like to buy an iPhone here and take it back home with me. unfortunately most carriers don't seem to unlock their iPhones. do you know any possibilities to do so? will it be possible to buy the phone directly at apple? i already know, that it is possible to buy me out of the contract at at&t and verizon, but thats it.

2. Raima macrumors 6502

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

This is not possible for anyone except Telestra customers. Not only does no carrier in the USA, and almost certainly no carrier in North America offer this policy, but Telestra does not have the ability to unlock the iPhone sold by another carrier.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont even think Apple will sell them unlocked in the US at launch.
    Maybe 3-4 months later.
    Getting it any other way in the US will be locked to the carrier and with no way to unlock it.
    You can try getting one in Canada cause they are sold unlocked there by Apple.

5. Raima macrumors 6502

I think there's been some misunderstanding. I meant to ask his telco company to see if they would unlock the phone for over seas travels. I didn't mean he had to do it via Telstra. It's possible to unlock a phone overseas, I don't see why it can't be done in the US.

Purchasing an unlocked phone from Canada may be the go.

6. chillhase thread starter macrumors member

hm, i wouldn't like to go all the way to canada... but i guess i'll check it out. thanks for your answers anyway. If you have any other ideas let me know. I'll ask at verizon if its possible to unlock it for travel purposes.

since this will be my first iPhone: is it still as easy to jail brake it?

7. Raima macrumors 6502

Order online perhaps? http://store.apple.com/ca/

I don't know if they've got any delivery restrictions. Check it out first before purchasing.

Not sure about Jailbreaking. I don't have any experience in that area

8. chillhase thread starter macrumors member

apple store canada does not ship outside of canada.
    but the iPhone will be available unlocked around november. so i just have to wait...
    do you know of any good plans with an unlocked phone?

9. dazzycx macrumors newbie

If you buy it from apple its unlocked, seems like the only resonable option.
    Then get a rolling contract for your 7 months and no problems changing over when it comes to that time...