iPhone iPhone 4s wont reactivate after restoring to stock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ChrisFitz9, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ChrisFitz9 macrumors member

Hey guys, im a little new at this whole forum thing, I am usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out on my own but I cant seem to get this one.

I was jailbroken on my Verizon iphone 4s on firmware 5.1.1 and wanted to return to stock to wipe everything out and upgrade fresh to iOS 6. I followed the steps to restore the phone and it successfully restored to a stock 5.1.1. I turned the phone on and had to go through the activation process and this is where I run into my problem.. the phone will not reactivate. ive tried through Celluar, WiFi and iTunes and havent had any luck. So when iOS 6 was released i thought maybe upgrading to that would solve my problem so i updated through Recovery and itunes to iOS 6 to no luck..still cant get the phone activated. any suggestions or Solutions would be great because im stumped and about to result to taking it to apple. thanks

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Verizon phones don't need activation, did you restore with the CDMA firmware?

3. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

Restored with firmware straight from apple and iTunes. when i turn the phone on it goes to the setup process asking what language, what county I am in and all that, then it goes to a screen that says Activate through celluar connection..click that and it tries to complete that and comes up with the message that apples activation servers are temporarily unavalible and wont go any farther.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple's servers may be overrun. Is there a SIM card in the phone? Are you in an area that gets good cellular coverage?

There's only one hardware model of the 4S and only one 4S firmware type.

5. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try a DFU mode restore once again, if it still isn't working, take it to an Apple store or a Verizon store. That phone is still under warranty, Apple should be able to replace it for free if a hardware problem is detected.

7. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I am leaning towards, I havent been able to find anyone with the same problem or with a solution. I did talk to Verizon and they kept saying the update to ios 6 "didnt take right" or something along those lines and that i needed to set the phone up as a new phone. well when i plug the phone in and the iphone section pops up all i have is the summary of the iphone with no information to it at all so i cant do anything from that screen. I've even tried on a differnet computer as well.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put it into DFU mode (Google is) and restore it with iTunes.

9. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

CDMA phones are carrier activated, not sim activated.

11. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

Gonna give DFU mode a go again and see if that helps

12. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

I've already done a restore...brought it up again to show that nothing comes up in the iphone information.

Attached Files:

13. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

I had the same issue happen today with an iPhone 4 from Verizon. I think it's something on Verizon's end. You shouldn't need iTunes if you have a WiFi connection. iTunes is actually asking for a social security number from me.

14. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

I tried through wifi
    and i tried through itunes and itunes tells me that it cant process my request

definitely a big pain in my ass lol

15. ChrisFitz9 thread starter macrumors member

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You were given the solution, post #6
    Take it to a Verizon store for assistance getting the carrier activation to attach.