iPhone 4S "world phone" capability on which carrier(s)?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scorpionleather, Oct 4, 2011.

1. scorpionleather macrumors newbie

So I hear the iPhone 4S will be a "world phone" supporting more radio infrastructures. This is great for my upcoming international travels. But my question is - is this going to work just as well internationally on ALL of the carriers? I plan to sign up either with AT&T (my existing carrier) or Verizon if that's better for international compatibility. What about international data?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Quite honestly the only change in regard to travel is that Verizon users can now use the phone GSM when travelling. ATT users have always been able to travel with their phone.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I think all the carrier locks will still apply in the US unfortunately.

For an unlocked phone the options open up a bit now though. Don't know how the CDMA switching on/off works though.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Even apple support people don't seem to know about the unlock, from someone's conversation with online support.
    So far it looks as though, one won't be able to jump from sprint to at&t easily, which is a bit disappointing. However, I'm hoping a jb will rectify this.

5. KyleC macrumors member

I am wondering if all of the phones will be unlocked, I want to use my AT&T upgrade but be able to use other sim cards overseas.

Hmmm

6. rpungello macrumors member

I'm definitely getting one on Verizon, and I hope they allow your to use it with GSM microSIM cards without having to buy the unlocked version, but I'm guessing I'm gonna be out of luck on that end. Would be a nice surprise if it was able to roam on GSM though.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Everyone wants this even if they don't realize it.

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Using an iPhone when you travel can be expensive for both cell minutes and data roaming.

The least expensive way to go is to turn off everything but WiFi and use Skype. The last time I was in Europe for two weeks I used my iPhone for local and long distance calls and to check my voicemail every day and it cost around $5 in Skype credit. I shudder to think what it would cost me if I had used the cell phone and data plans...

It's a fact that you won't be instantly available but is that really necessary when traveling?

9. SavMBP15, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

SavMBP15 macrumors 6502