Resolved iPhone 4S World Phone Clarification?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Winter Charm, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Winter Charm, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Just trying to clarify things for myself.

Apple says the iPhone 4S is a world phone. Does this mean I can travel anywhere and put in a sim card from a foreign carrier (like Orange, or O2) and use it while I'm there, and then back in the USA, use the carrier I have a contract with?

OR

Does it mean that I get charged Roaming Fees when I'm all around the world??
    (The only reason I'm asking is because this quote from apple's website is nagging at my mind)
    "And iPhone 4S is a world phone, so you can use it almost anywhere. Whether you’re a GSM or CDMA customer, you can roam GSM networks in 200 countries around the world."

Taken from: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

If you have any ideas about this, or a good guess or two, I would hugely appreciate it.

I guess what I'm asking is did apple unlock all iPhone 4S' by default so that I can use them with any carrier worldwide, or does a 2 year contract with a US carrier mean that I have to pay those really expensive Roaming fees??

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not unlocked, you can roam using your carrier's plan but you can't just pop in any old SIM. Unlocked phones will be available in USA within "about 90 days" but will not be sold with subsidy, only full-price.

3. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

It will be locked to AT&T's roaming partners which charge a crazy price. Anyways my at&t locked iphone 3G and iphone 4 never worked anywhere in major european cities/countries, so don't count on it working. An unlocked phone is a better option.