iPhone 4S "world phone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nampramos, Oct 8, 2011.

1. nampramos macrumors 6502

Guys, help me out.

This new iPhone 4S will only have one version for the entire world?
    It will work in both GSM and CDMA networks (Europe vs. North America)?
    If yes, then a phone purchased in Canada for example, will work on an European carrier (if unlocked, of course)?

Another question: next Wednesday when iOS 5 comes out, will it be again like the iPhone 4S pre-orders? In USA it start at mid-night but in Europe it didn't (basically it start when it was mid-night in USA and here morning already).

One more regarding Apple Care: I will purchase an iPhone 4S very soon and I'd like to know if I need to extend my warranty the moment I register the phone online or if I can extend it just days before the 1 year warranty expires?

Thank you all.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The unlocked iPhone 4S is a true world phone and will work in Europe even if you buy it in Canada. However, that's based on using it on a GSM network where you install a sim card. It's not at all clear that you'll be able to use it on a CDMA network (Verizon, Sprint) because they don't use sim cards and Apple is stating that in the US at least, the iPhone 4S will only work with GSM networks, ATT and T-Mobile.

OS releases are generally global but sometimes are staggered to prevent server overload. In other words we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know about the warranty question.

3. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. What I really care is that it will work in GSM ;)

If someone knows about the warranty question, please let me know.

Thanks.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As long as it's unlocked that is correct.

You can add AppleCare from the day you purchase it all the way up to the end of the 1 year warranty.

5. macsimo macrumors newbie

I believe the new Apple Care + has to be ordered "with new equipment".

From the Apple website:

"How to get AppleCare+
    AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone."

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

To work on a CDMA network, the carrier must have an agreement with Apple, along with the tools necessary to program the phone to work with their network.

7. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure of that?
    Anyone else can confirm this?

When purchasing the iPhone 4S from Apple Store, I will need to purchase immediately the Apple Care? I can't do it just days before it ends (the normal 1 year warranty)?

----------

On Apple Store I read this:

"The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your iPhone is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty. See AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete product details."

From my interpretation, it means I can still buy it until the day the 1 year warranty finishes.

8. jrfive0 macrumors member

the apple website "confirms" this....and no you cannot wait 364 days to purchase applecare+ like you could with the plain old applecare :eek:

----------

Exactly man.....it doesn't say the "Applecare+ Protection Plan" does it?

9. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

What's this Apple Care+?
    I've never heard of it.
    The normal Apple Care Plan gives an extra year of warranty and extends the phone support from 90 days to 2 years.
    And that normal plan, according to Apples website, can be purchased any time before the normal 1 year warranty expires.
    What am I missing?

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Apple Care + covers accidental damage, can only be purchased with the iPhone.

Apple Care does not cover accidental damage, can be purchased within a year. I believe this is obsolete now.

11. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright! That sounds good!
    Is this Apple Care + world wide?
    If I buy the iPhone 4S in Canada and accidentally break it somewhere in Europe, will it still be covered?

----------

I checked now on the Canada Apple Store and they don't offer the + plan.
    Maybe it is US only?

12. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone would like to comment on that?
    Is the Apple Care + Plan for the USA only?

13. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

For the iPhone 4S yes.

But I'm asking if I'm missing where the Apple Care + Plan is located on the Canadian Apple Store.

I had a look around and couldn't find it when pre-ordering the 4S.

Maybe it is only available in the USA?