iphone 4th gen micro-sim and ipad 3g micro-sim

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by swy05, Apr 19, 2010.

1. swy05 macrumors 6502

So with the recently leaked videos/images of the 4th gen iphone, it's looking like it will take a micro-sim card.

The ipad 3g also takes the micro-sim card.

Do you think it's possible that the micro-sim for the 4th gen iphone would work in the ipad 3g, hence sharing the data from our 4th gen iphone with our 3g ipad.

But then again, the realistic side of me is thinking that there is no way in hell Apple/AT&T would allow this.

2. California King macrumors 65816

Micro sim is probably an attempt to stop people from unlocking it and using it on T-Mobile, :(

3. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Yup my inescapable conclusion as well.

That said, all you need do is shave the thing down. BUT, it definitely reduces the number of people who will do so. People are lazy :)

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think that Apple and AT&T would enable it. The description on Apple's website states that the plans are separate. However, if one or both of the devices gets jailbroken then maybe?

5. lordhamster macrumors 6502

I find the microsim annoying, but I don't think it stops anyone. I'm sure there will be sim trimming tool popping up on ebay soon. Any smart GSM provider would offer them as well.

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I think you overestimate people. In general I find it a poor bet to bet against the laziness of the general populous. :)

Yes there'll be trimming tools, but most people will continue to play sheep.

7. elleana macrumors regular

8. swy05 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think people are miss-reading the thread. The 4th gen iPhone has micro-sim as does the ipad 3g. Any possibility of compatibility?

9. magillagorilla macrumors member

Yeah, I think the OP's question is whether one can use their 4G Ipone's micro-sim in their Ipad, negating the need to pay for a separate data plan.

10. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I don't know a lot about micro sims, but unless they have new security features on them, i can't see a reason you couldn't use the iphone microsim in the iPad. Probably a better question would be whether you can use the iPad microsim in the iPhone and just use voip! That would be amazing but i don't see AT&T supporting that somehow.

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I have no expertise regarding 3G technology but my guess is natively they won't be compatible--can't see how AT&T would ever go for it. However, with a little jailbreaking/unlocking I'm guessing (and hoping) anything is possible ;).

12. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Yea but once its jailbroken it would be possible...either iPad to iPhone microSIM or iPhone to iPad microSIM.