Iphone 5 3G Icon? (No LTE)

Robitaille01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Okay I just picked up the new phone today...All works well, except I keep noticing my Iphone has the 3G icon on... I'm In Downtown Toronto,Canada and I am with Virgin Mobile (Bell) Which has LTE Service. The LTE option is Turned on ... Now should this logo be LTE or does it really matter? :confused:

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Okay I just picked up the new phone today...All works well, except I keep noticing my Iphone has the 3G icon on... I'm In Downtown Toronto,Canada and I am with Virgin Mobile (Bell) Which has LTE Service. The LTE option is Turned on ... Now should this logo be LTE or does it really matter? :confused:
If you're in an area that has true LTE coverage it should say LTE.

I have to be honest, I didn't see much delay in 3G vs. LTE over normal usage (like Trip Advisor or something like that) but my son who is on an ancient 3GS says he sees the difference. We didn't do any massive data movements though.

Only time I noticed the speed was when we were in a rural area with Edge service - wow, so slow.

SWODiphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
After doing some reading it seems like you guys aren't the only ones...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4328287?start=0&tstart=0

I was in Mississauga (Erin Mills/Square One area) yesterday from 12 - 3PM and had LTE coverage. Used WiFi for the rest of the day. Went back to Oakville that night, and I haven't had LTE coverage ever since I was in Mississauga. I used to be able to get about a minute of LTE coverage when toggling airplane mode on and off, but I get nothing now.

I called Apple just for fun, and they have no notices for this issue.

Called Bell right after and the service rep told me that there is a "nationwide service disruption" for all iPhone 5 users. He said it will take a few days to sort out due to the high volume of iPhone 5s being activated.

Nice to know that it's not just me, but I'm still disappointed. Maybe Bell will make things right and credit us somehow... its nice to dream, right?
Posted on September 22

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Try giving your iPhone 5 a power cycle after you get it all set up.

This solved an issue with the iPhone 5 not recognizing my AT&T Microcell (as well as others I saw online days ago)