iPhone 5 & 5s - Apple Genuine Lightning to USB Cable.Edit:deal is back $9.99

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Monssef, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Monssef, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

Monssef macrumors member

Apple Genuine Lightning to USB Cable. Brand New, Unused, Bulk Packaged. For Charge/Sync/Connecting iPhone 5/5S/5C, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, or iPad mini Retina to USB. 1 Year OWC Fulfilled Warranty. (MD818ZM/A)

Apple Genuine Lightning Cable for $9.50 After $3 Instant Rebate! Limit 3 per customer/household ($12.50 each for additional)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MD818ZMA/

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Not real. There is no lightning bulk packaging.

3. Partridge macrumors 6502

OWC is a long standing and reputable company that's been selling upgrade parts for apple computers for ages. If they say it's a genuine apple cable, it's a genuine apple cable.

4. Partridge macrumors 6502

Got mine in today.

They're real. Exactly the same as the one I had packed in with my iPhone, down to the way it's coiled and the plastic band holding it together.

If you're looking for an extra Apple cable, it's a killer deal. (still available last I checked)

5. Monssef thread starter macrumors member

6. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Fail.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Fail? Why because someone said it wasn't real and two people said it was? Of course your contribution of "fail" balances out those who believe the cable is authentic and those who do not. I guess there is that.

8. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Probably because the first response declares aren't real simply because it comes in a 'bulk' package without actually even testing them. Many people who search the internet and find this thread will read and move on without seeing the other reply.

Context clues. I learned them in 1st grade but better late then never I suppose.

9. Monssef thread starter macrumors member

The deal is back to $9.99 I dont need to argue with the guys they are saying its fake. I know its real and I know I got a good deal just wanted to share it with the people that want to save some money. Whoever can distinguish the real from fake look at the pic of the one I got.

Attached Files:

10. ihonda macrumors 68000

techarmor's cables are BETTER. build quality is WAY BETTER. no questions life time warranty. highly recommend them over apple.

11. Partridge macrumors 6502

Ok, so I saw the link in another thread to the apple information on how to identify a counterfeit cable.

I checked my real cable first, the one that came with my 5S.

The laser etched serial number is on the cable, right where it should be, but it's hard as hell to see except in the right light because it's light grey on white.

I then checked the bulk cable from OWC.

The laser etched serial number is on the cable. Exactly where it should be.

It is an enormous pain in the ass to laser etch a faint marking on every cable with an individual serial number, so faint that 99.999% of consumers would never know it was there. It's the hardware equivalent of a watermark, and it's something that a bulk counterfeiter would never even think of bothering to do since the effort would never outweigh the cost.

The cables from OWC are 100% genuine.

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Apple does not sell it's products in bulk, ever, period. Anytime you see bulk packaging for Apple, they are fake. May be a good fake, but fake none the less.

13. Partridge, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

Partridge macrumors 6502

I wouldn't make blanket statements like that.

OWC has been around since 1988. That's 25 YEARS. They're part of the apple developer program and have been the only manufacturer that has made third part SSD upgrades for the recent MacBooks.

Apple doesn't sell its products in bulk to just anybody but I can tell you that when you get a replacement cable from the apple store, they don't pull one off the shelf, and that goes for their service providers as well. These are likely service replacement parts.

What's more likely?

A: A trusted veteran apple product developer/vendor has access to some genuine service parts and sells some at a loss leader during the holidays to attract business?

or:

B: Some Chinese manufacturer, instead of producing crap cables that are just good enough to fool 99.99999999 percent of people for some insane reason decides to invest in the ability to make a PERFECT duplicate of an apple cable right down to the individually serialized watermarks that virtually nobody even knows to look for and which most people couldn't find without a magnifying glass, then instead of putting them in retail packaging and selling them for full price decides to sell them in bulk to a business that then decides to blow a 25 year reputation as an upstanding member of the mac community by selling fake cables.

Seriously? Occams razor anybody? I've bought the cables. I've examined the serial numbers. They're real. End of story.

First image: Cable that came with iPhone
    Second image: OWC cable

You need to look very very carefully under good light, about 7 inches away from the USB connector to find the watermarks. I never even knew they were there until I looked for them, and I missed them the first time I tried because they're that faint.

Attached Files:

14. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

If a third party takes 2 lightning cables and sells them together, it's called bulk. Just because Apple doesn't do it, it doesn't mean others can't.

It's really not that complicated.

15. slapppy macrumors 65816

I've been a customer for over 20 years. You want genuine Apple or 3rd party products that works with Apple products, these are the guys to go to. They really do test 3rd products as well as genuine ones and well trusted by the Apple community for over 25 years. :)

16. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

I bought a couple of these and stand by the quality. However, I would really love to know how OWC manages to sell these. Perhaps Apple provides bulk amounts of them since OWC is an Apple Authorized Repair center, but I'd think selling them would go against their agreement.