Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BASTI51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
Hello,

I have got my new iPhone 5S on friday and it's awesome. But I think i have got a defective device and need some advice from other iPhone 5 / 5S users if this is normal or not.

First: The Power-Button is pretty loose and if shaken it sounds like a baby rattle . Its definitely not the camera lens which I know from my iPhone 4S. You can even hear it when the phone vibrates.

Second: On tables or flat surfaces the phone spins like hell. You can even play spin the bottle with it. I mean I can live with both issues but my problem is that I will probably see shortly a pointed scuff on the backside.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ETG61WSqA

What should I do?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're being overly sensitive regarding the spinning.

As for the loose buttons, there's been a number of threads here about them for the iPhone 5 and 5s. If you're unhappy with the looseness then take it back.

Bigdawg4

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
Hello,

I have got my new iPhone 5S on friday and it's awesome. But I think i have got a defective device and need some advice from other iPhone 5 / 5S users if this is normal or not.

First: The Power-Button is pretty loose and if shaken it sounds like a baby rattle . Its definitely not the camera lens which I know from my iPhone 4S. You can even hear it when the phone vibrates.

Second: On tables or flat surfaces the phone spins like hell. You can even play spin the bottle with it. I mean I can live with both issues but my problem is that I will probably see shortly a pointed scuff on the backside.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ETG61WSqA

What should I do?

My 5s rattles like that as well but only if I try and shake it do I hear it...since shaking my phone like a tamborine isnt a normal thing I dont think its a problem.

Spinning...Mine doesnt do this but if you plan on putting any sort of protective skin or case on it I believe this "problem" goes away.

Return it if you dont feel satisfied as a customer but I beleive you are making too much of it but like I said, ultimately its up to you as the customer to feel as though you spent your money on a quality product and if you think its not a quality product then return it.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Go back to the Apple store, spin it for the herd of saleskids.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
my phone rattles when it vibrates and sounds like something is loose...i may go to apple later and have it checked out

BASTI51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
Some guys are trolling me here :eek: I mean I paid 900€ (1215$) for this device so it has to be perfect imo.

And yes I'm very sensitive in such cases and seriously it can't be normal that my iPhone spins around when it lies on a table and I am softly slide to unlock it :D

On a table of glass it's going like crazy :D

But thank you guys very much for your advices.

BASTI51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
Are you guys dumb? Finding it really ok when your phone turns 180º after unlocking it?

You guys should better learn to read instead of trolling.

So when you phone lies on a table and you got a message and just want to swipe it for quick response and it just spins away 180º. Do you think then "LOL IT SPINS HÖHÖHÖHÖ" too?

Come on.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
There is a solution to this problem

I call it the iFinger.

Place the iFinger on the side of the phone and swipe with your thumb.

This revolutionary device is so simple yet functional and is guaranteed to alleviate all your spinning problems

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Defenitely a feature, you can see how gloriously Apple keeps innovating. Not a defect. It opens up a whole new level for games, and the M7 will gladly take care of it.

As for the rattle, I'd advise you to try to enjoy it. Accept it, deal with it, that's the Apple way, the only way.

/s

S

syd430

OP , the "issues" you listed are found on every. single. unit.

The home button is clicky because of the new sensor apparatus. The power buttons and camera lens have always rattled, even on the 5. The spinning thing... Wtf? Is your phone bent or not. Very easy to tell my looking at it with your eyes level on a flat table. What is spinningj it going to tell us other than your phone and table are both smooth surfaces?

Wait till you find out that your iphone 5S actually has a real problem ( 90%+ have it, including mine) that the gyro is off by 4-6 degrees. Test it out in a racing game. The car will immediately swerve to the right when laying the phone perfectly on its side on a table. I'm only telling you this so you switch to a GS 4 and stop coming here to complain about a rattle which you didn't bother to research .

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Some guys are trolling me here :eek: I mean I paid 900€ (1215$) for this device so it has to be perfect imo.

And yes I'm very sensitive in such cases and seriously it can't be normal that my iPhone spins around when it lies on a table and I am softly slide to unlock it :D

On a table of glass it's going like crazy :D

But thank you guys very much for your advices.

1. Why are you using slide to unlock and not Touch ID?

2. Do you you really expect a polished aluminium and glass phone not to spin on a smooth surface?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I was probably one of the biggest complainers about the rattling power button, but after going through so many iPhone 5, I can tell you some do it, some don't. Seems to be way more common on the iPhone 5s.

As far as your phone spinning, I've never seen someone do that ???

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Are you guys dumb? Finding it really ok when your phone turns 180º after unlocking it?

You guys should better learn to read instead of trolling.

So when you phone lies on a table and you got a message and just want to swipe it for quick response and it just spins away 180º. Do you think then "LOL IT SPINS HÖHÖHÖHÖ" too?

Come on.

I just tried it and my iPhone 5 spins, but only if I swipe to unlock with some amount of pressure. If I do it lightly, as you should, then it doesn't spin.

Solution; use less force.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Return it if you are not satisfied. That's my solution when faced with dissatisfaction.

The things you mention here would not be of concern to me. Unless that rattling was severe with normal use (not shaking), but ultimately you are the one who needs to be happy with your purchase.

You will not find a PERFECT piece of consumer electronics. They do not exist.

LWP777

Suspended
Sep 20, 2010
I watched your YouTube video. I really expected the phone to be spinning like crazy, but come on, it was barely moving. That's just simple physics. You set your phone down on a smooth surface...what do you think it's going to do?

As for the rattle, if it bothers you that much just take it back and find one that doesn't rattle as much but I wouldn't bring up the spinning. You might have the entire store laughing at you.

BASTI51

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
Are you saying it's spinning because the back is uneven at some point? cause that would be a problem

Correct. It's seems to be slighty curved and the hole weight of the device is sitting on the middle of the backside. Can't better describe it in english but I hope you know what I mean. Like a gyroscope but not so spiky or so.

And what's wrong with you guys? I just asked if it's normal or is not. If it's normal ok then I know it and I can live with than, if not i maybe will exchange it. But instead of answering my question you guys going nuts. But it seems to me thats the community here.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
It has a smooth surface. Of course it spins when you spin it. Goodness OP ! I have a flip phone and it spins as well when I purposely spin it. I thought your post sounded like if you just put it on the table it spinned by itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.