Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Hi,

Just bought a 5s and loving it so far, but i noticed that when it lays on a perfectly flat table and i press down the top or bottom area (where the back-glass pieces are), the Phone lifts GENTLY on the opposite side. It seems that the back of the phone is not 100% flat. (see the picture i edited, ofc its not as bad as in the picture). Ofc its a minor issue, but i wonder if this is a manufacturing defect or just normal production tolerances?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Is it 100% a perfectly flat table? Try it on something like glass.

If you've already done that, then I know my 5s does not do this as I just tested it, and never noticed it on any previous iPhone either. Doesn't sound normal IMO. However, if its minor and the rest of the phone works fine then I wouldn't worry about it. :)

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Is it 100% a perfectly flat table? Try it on something like glass.

If you've already done that, then I know my 5s does not do this as I just tested it, and never noticed it on any previous iPhone either. Doesn't sound normal IMO. However, if its minor and the rest of the phone works fine then I wouldn't worry about it. :)

yes its 100% flat. You can see it better if you place the edge of e.g. a creditcard on the back and hold the phone against a light source.

I have to say its very, very minor, but its there.

I really think its a manufacturing tolerance. Because its no bending just the top and bottom piece.

LS417

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Same here..

Flip it over on its screen and notice it wont wobble, only when on its back.

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Same here..

Flip it over on its screen and notice it wont wobble, only when on its back.

so your iphone 5 / 5s does the same? The Screen on mine is 100% flat.:) Only the Back wobbles slightly

i guess its normal then....

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I would take it to a Genius and express your concerns. If it was widespread issue the forum would be full of anal retentive (not OCD) folks complaining.

The reason I would take it in is that I would be concerned with the battery swelling and deforming back of the phone. If you're told it's "OK" then at least you'll have the record of the visit if something happens down the road.

If they tell you it's OK then don't worry about it and enjoy your phone!

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Its not the Battery... its the Top and Bottom glassparts of the unibody-construction who are slightly off angle...

Very minimal though... maybe someone noticed it too?

If every iPhone 5 / 5s has it theres no need to go to a geniusbar...

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
Its not the Battery... its the Top and Bottom glassparts of the unibody-construction who are slightly off angle...

Very minimal though... maybe someone noticed it too?

If every iPhone 5 / 5s has it theres no need to go to a geniusbar...

I notice something similar on mine. If I press the lower right corner on a flat table, the upper left side lifts and if I press the upper left side the lower right lifts even higher. I think these are within manufacturing tolerances, although it is kind of sad to see Apple's attention to details going down the toilet. I will do as PNutts suggested and monitor to make sure it is not the battery swelling.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Hi,

Just bought a 5s and loving it so far, but i noticed that when it lays on a perfectly flat table and i press down the top or bottom area (where the back-glass pieces are), the Phone lifts GENTLY on the opposite side. It seems that the back of the phone is not 100% flat. (see the picture i edited, ofc its not as bad as in the picture). Ofc its a minor issue, but i wonder if this is a manufacturing defect or just normal production tolerances?

[url=http://abload.de/img/original_apple-iphonelnshu.jpg]Image[/url]

It's bent, take it back.

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I notice something similar on mine. If I press the lower right corner on a flat table, the upper left side lifts and if I press the upper left side the lower right lifts even higher. I think these are within manufacturing tolerances, although it is kind of sad to see Apple's attention to details going down the toilet. I will do as PNutts suggested and monitor to make sure it is not the battery swelling.

wow its exactly like mine! the top part is slightly more offaxis then the bottom part of the unibody.

okay it seems really normal then. You shure its only the Top and bottom glasspieceareas? because the middle aluminum part of the back is perfectly flat on my 5s.

cheers

----------

It's bent, take it back.

bending is not the "problem" here...

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
It's the aluminum that bends easily. If you put enough pressure on your iPhone or sit on it while in your back pocket, it will bend by the volume buttons .

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
wow its exactly like mine! the top part is slightly more offaxis then the bottom part of the unibody.

okay it seems really normal then. You shure its only the Top and bottom glasspieceareas? because the middle aluminum part of the back is perfectly flat on my 5s.

cheers

----------

I tested the corners because those areas would amplify the unevenness. The middle aluminum also looked flat to me. It is hard to test the evenness of the aluminum piece because you would need a reference material that is completely flat. I think you're onto something. Maybe the glass and aluminum have some mismatch (material properties) causing the unevenness.

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I tested the corners because those areas would amplify the unevenness. The middle aluminum also looked flat to me. It is hard to test the evenness of the aluminum piece because you would need a reference material that is completely flat. I think you're onto something. Maybe the glass and aluminum have some mismatch (material properties) causing the unevenness.

it tilts, when u press on both sides, right? (left and right)

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
but i wonder if this is a manufacturing defect or just normal production tolerances?

I wouldn't worry about it. It probably can be explained by the metal reacting to changes in temperature. Based on your photo the variance is minor. I'm not an expert but I'd say the wobble falls within tolerances. PHYSICS

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
it tilts, when u press on both sides, right? (left and right)

It tilts when I press opposite corners. Left or right in the middle doesn't seem to tilt. Oh, this is going to be annoying when I type with the phone on the table.

Last edited:

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
might sound funny to you but considering the raise of the iphones price each generation, my actceptance of things like that tends to get more and more to zero. :)

Also i wouldnt care if the rest of the iphone 5s body wasnt crafted at such and insane level of detail.

Scott M

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2009
Just tried mine. Pressing at the points where you posted (top and bottom), it doesn't wobble at all. Pressing in the corners, there's the slightest bit of movement.

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
The iPhone doesn't get a price adjustment every year.

since the iphone 5 it does.

----------

i went in the apple store today and discovered, every iphone 5s on display had this minor imperfection. Propably its caused by the manufacturing process...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
since the iphone 5 it does.

Not in the US. Off contract or unlocked, the last 3 generations of iPhones cost the same amount. I know because I've purchased them. If you go back before the iPhone 4s, you can't get a 64GB capacity, it tops out at 32GB.

64GB iPhone 4s - $849 in September 2011
64GB iPhone 5 - $849 in September 2012
64GB iPhone 5s - $849 in September 2013

Technically...if you factor in inflation, they've actually gotten cheaper each year. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.