iPhone 5 6.1Auto-capitalization problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 643coach, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 643coach macrumors newbie

Every time I type on my phone in any app it automatically capitalizes the first letter of every word. Did not do this prior to updating the iOS. I have auto-cap turned on in settings.

Also, double spacing does not insert a period. I have it turned on in settings.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix for this?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It automatically capitalizes the first word in each sentence, or every single word? If the first word of every sentence, this is how it is supposed to behave, especially with auto-cap turned on.

Secondly, it's not just double space, it's very rapidly hitting space twice. Are you tapping it fast enough?

3. 643coach thread starter macrumors newbie

Capitalizes every single word.

And yes, I'm double spacing fast. The weird thing about that is after I double space and a period doesn't appear, I'll backspace twice and then double space again and the period will appear.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Strange, I've never seen/heard of either of those issues.

My advice, as usual with software issues, is to backup, then restore your phone as new. Test the issues you had before, if they're gone, restore your backup. If they're not gone, then I'm not sure. If they're gone, you restore your backup, and they appear again, then something is corrupt in your backup and you'll need to restore as new again.

5. jcote258 macrumors newbie

I too am having this issue. Except that it's almost random? At first it starts out as every word is capitalized than an I keep typing some words will end up regular than it will jump back to the issue at hand. I thought at first it was one of the tweaks that I had downloaded from Cydia that was causing the issue (jailbroken 6.1.2 iOS on 4S) but that proved not to be the case once I started to uninstall everything that had to something to do with the keyboard. Let me know what you find out as I just went into Settings>general>keyboard and shut off auto cap to turn it off completely and it worked but now the beginning of all my sentences aren't capitalized. If you end up doing a restore let me know if that worked out for you, don't want to waist my time doing that if the problem won't fix.

6. atdbuzr macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue. At first the auto-correct started acting strange (making "corrections" to words that didn't make sense) and now the auto-capitalize is capitalizing every word and the auto-period is not working as well.

I also have a jailbroken iphone 5 so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with a tweak. I'm going to start uninstalling each tweak one by one.

Anyone else find a solution or figure out what's causing this?

-Jeff

7. Fodus macrumors newbie

My jailbroken 5 is doing the same thing.

Any luck from uninstalling tweaks? My jailbroken iphone 5 is doing the same thing.

8. atdbuzr macrumors newbie

I found the problem. It ended up being an issue with the iKeywi and ManualCorrect tweaks. Not sure if it's just one of them or the combination of the the two, but after I uninstalled both and reset the keyboard dictionary (settings->general->reset) everything is back to normal.