iPhone 5 64GB Verizon Rebooting Constantly..what to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

So this is my old iphone 5 64gb that i gave to my son a year ago, I had it replaced once with a refurbished a couple months after launch of the iphone 5, then again late year last even though it was out of warranty by about 4 months or so.

After about 2-3 months with the 2nd refurb the phone started acting wierd, it would never show increasing/actual battery percentage while charging until you rebooted the phone, then freeze at that number until you rebooted it again. This didnt bug me majorly since it wasnt my phone anymore so i let it go on. At the same time the phone started constantly rebooting during any mildy intensive task. Then it stopped for a few months and has now started constantly rebooting again. Brought it to the apple store today and i was not expecting yet a 3rd replacement out of warranty, but i wanted to see if he could do anything. He said the logic board was most likely bad since everything else tested out fine but he kept getting kernel panics one after the other non stop.

So.....the question is..replace it for $279? Or just sell it for whatever i can get? The phone still works great...when its working. Not sure what it would be worth. Maybe $300? At that price i could probably a 16gb 5s maybe.

2. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Did you already try restoring and setting it up as new? If not, try that as maybe you carried issues over to it from your other iPhones that had problems.

3. Shockwave78 thread starter macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Yes, probably have restored about 5 times as new, definitely hardware.

4. GeniusAdvisor macrumors newbie

Go to...

Settings
    General
    About

then down at the bottom click

Diagnostics & Usage

then click

diagnostic and usage data

If you see a string of numbers... click into them you will see a list of code like text... at the very top... look and see if you have "Bug_type_110" anywhere... If you do, take it to apple, the phone needs replaced due to a memory hardware issue.

5. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Take it to apple, it'll probably save you the headache from trying to figure it out by yourself. They'll probably know what's wrong with it.

Sounds like a hardware issue.

6. Shockwave78 thread starter macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Yes I have taken it to the Apple Store already as stated in the OP, they said it was a hardware issue already. The question was is it worth paying the $279 to replace it with another one or to just sell it as is .