iPhone 5 a1429

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jppranker, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Jppranker macrumors newbie

My question is Verizon prepaid now says u can bring your own cdma phone but when I try and bring my iphone 5 from straight talk they say it will not work. I thought iphone 5 thru 5s we're unlock and could be used with any carrier? There isn't any software preventing it is there or are they just being butt heads

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhm…I think you have that backwards.

Verizon iPhone 5 series phones are unlocked as per agreement with the FCC. iPhones bought from any carrier other than Verizon or that were not purchased from Apple as SIM Unlocked are locked. I think you are thinking that any phone you bring to Verizon should be automatically unlocked. That's not the case.

If your Straight Talk iPhone was originally purchased from Sprint you are doubly screwed. Sprint will under no circumstances unlock your phone for domestic use.

3. Jppranker thread starter macrumors newbie

The iphone I have is straight talk used on verizon 3G prepaid network. So do I need to get it unlocked from straight talk?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you originally bought it from Straight Talk then you need to talk to them, yes.

If Straight Talk is an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) that simply uses Verizon's network then your iPhone is not a Verizon iPhone and isn't subject to the FCC agreement. It's bound to Straight Talk's rules and conditions.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

From a cursory Google search it seems that Straight Talk refuses unlock requests.

I also found this, posted in the Howard Forums in regards to ST's terms of service.
    You may just be better off selling the phone and buying a Verizon iPhone.

6. Jppranker thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok according to straight talks website will unlock if it meets requirements. If they do there isn't anythg from a software point keeping it from being used by verizon is there? It's the same a1429 verizon sells it just says TFW as the provider.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know. I wouldn't think so.

You might want to seek clarification with them though. You may be thinking a complete unlock and ST may be thinking an INTERNATIONAL unlock only.

There is a difference. Take Sprint, for instance. They will unlock for international use (means you can use different networks outside the US) but they will NEVER unlock for domestic use.

If ST means the same as Sprint you may be in for a rude shock.

8. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Sprint always finds some way to screw the consumer. I don't want to turn this into a "Speint bashing" thread, but I pray to God ST isn't like Sprint because if so ... I truly feel sorry for the OP

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hear you…but somehow I doubt it's any different unfortunately.

10. Jppranker thread starter macrumors newbie

Wht amazes me is my iphone 5 has the exact specs that the verizon iphone 5 has only sold at walmart

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No matter what you do verizon will not activate it on their network.
    Sell it and get one that works for the carrier you want to use it on.
    Even if straightalk unlocks it will be unlocked for gsm networks only.
    Sprint and verizon still wont accept it even though its a verizon MVNO.

12. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

I used ST for a short time and all I can say is Good, Luck getting them to do ANYTHING for you.

Seriously, I'd sell the phone and just start over. Way less headache.

13. Jppranker thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol found out since mine has been replaced by apple at the apple stored my meid shows up in Verizon's system so they think they can activate it now.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's one of the parts that keeps on being really crappy. Even Verizon came out with a program saying they would accept non-Verizon CDMA devices if they satisfy some requirements (which an identical hardware phone certainly would), yet it seems they never end up allowing any such devices in the end. Would be interesting if someone actually officially calls them out on it.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Doesn't make any sense at all besides financial sense to them.
    They might allow some other devices but when it comes to iPhones the answer is always no.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

To be honest, I doubt it makes financial sense either. The phone costs them practically nothing to activate on their network and it'll bring them additional revenue of at least $45/mo. Verizon doesn't even have to subsidize the phone or anything.

The only reasonable explanation I can think of why they won't activate the phone on their network is if they're under contractual obligation with Walmart/StraightTalk not to do so.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you on that. Doesnt make much sense.
    But for some reason verizon sees the customer as a privilege to be using their network and paying them for service.
    You want to connect, pay the fee, sign the 2 year contract or buy one of our phones type of attitude.
    "its the network" Can you hear me now:D