Iphone 5 aluminium wears off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kapybarus, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Kapybarus macrumors member

Hello, I would like to ask if it is common problem of iphone 5/5s that aluminium on back and side wears off after some time. It is not common scratch, more like some white dirt, but definitely scratched. Phone was always in case and scratches are all over back and sides. uploadfromtaptalk1397751692095.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1397751720892.jpg

2. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Uh.. The aluminum does not wear off. However the anodizing on the iPhone 5 does. For the most part case will allow dust and other particles in so you will get scratches. Unless you've got total butterfingers you are better off with no case.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The black iPhone 5 was fairly easy to scratch and scuff. I have a feeling that is why they switched to the Space Gray on the 5s.

4. MEGAdanl macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me using a very slim case. Seems like keeping it in my pocket allowed sand to work its way between the phone and case. I'm now caseless. However, the dings I've gotten without a case are much worse than those with.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The color layer, the anodizing is wearing off.

This is normal, and expected. Ever seen old cameras, or tools?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Dunno.

47 pages of user complaints from several merged threads as well as multiple other threads about SCUFFGATE since September 2012 just here at MacRumors alone seems to suggest that this was a common problem. You'll find it's talked about all over the internet. Google and the search box here are really easy to use. ;)

Mine is scuffed. It's been a year and a half.

7. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Aluminum is a very soft metal. It is bound to chip, scratch...etc. Apple should switch stainless steel.

8. shawndc1 macrumors regular

my old 5 did that if i put my phone and keys in the same pocket, thats all it is minor scratches

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yep it's the black color. My white 5 is fine. Just some scratches on the bottom near the lightening port from trying to plug it in in the dark with an otterbox.

10. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

same thing happened to my 5. the entire edges where my hand would rest while holding the phone under normal usage was completely worn... like I had taken sandpaper to the edges to remove the coating. I hated it

11. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

Completely agree. My iPhone 4 never suffered as much wear as my 5.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i don't own a 5s, but i would imagine the 'space grey' wears off as well, but it's harder to see because of the colour.

the iPhone 5 wears off to a 'space grey' colour.

13. cynics macrumors G3

Anodization on an iPhone is relatively thin. Don't expect it not to get scratched. However I have other electronic consumer products that seem to have a more durable anodization namely my old Motorola Xoom. Don't know what they did to make it so durable.

Regardless the aluminum on an iPhone is thin so the anodization is thin too. On thicker aluminum you can see much more durable finishes that are much more difficult to scratch (actually take some effort to scratch).

14. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Its doing this on my black 5S. Just harder to see, you gotta focus your eyes on it.

With the black one it popped out and was very noticeable.

15. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat