iPhone 5 Aluminum Case with Reusable Dock Packaging

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jt2020, May 9, 2013.

1. jt2020 macrumors newbie

I just came across this on Kickstarter and thought I'd share it here. The Aluminum Case looks pretty cool, but their packaging is the part that is unique. I've never seen a package that lets you dock the phone. Their case is called Atrio. Anybody here have any experience with Kickstarter projects?
    http://kck.st/12VA1YZ

Attached Files:

2. SoLongAndroid macrumors member

[​IMG]

I'm kind of surprised they don't address any antenna or signal issues with aluminum bumpers.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

With a new iPhone on the way, I wonder if it is wise to back a project that is a good few months from shipping to early adopters. It could still be the same design or apple could change something so minor making this number obsolete.

4. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I don't see any reason why this case wouldn't kill reception like at least a dozen similar aluminum cases. The only idea they have is the glass back. they don't mention the Faraday cage effect of surrounding the antenna with metal. The only successful aluminum cases I've run into after years of interest and study of aluminum cases, are cases that incorporate polymer or plastic parts that allow a signal to reach the antenna. There would have to be a great deal of proof presented and verified in reviews that this case is somehow an exception to this rule for me to buy one.

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yep, will kill reception like most other aluminum cases of the same design.... unless THEY were able to do something many many others could not.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Probably because the signal is transmitted out the glass back of the phone and not the bumper

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Nope, not on i5 it's not. IF it was every case of the same design (open back) wouldn't f-up the signal but they all do.

8. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

The glass back contains antennas for Bluetooth and GPS. The perimeter band has antennas for cell and wifi. I believe these antennas are duplicated so that the death grip doesn't occur but believe me an uninterrupted perimeter metal band will loose probably two bars of reception. In weak areas you will have dropped calls.