iPhone 5 and 4S appear on Cincinnati Bell Website?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murdoc158, Oct 1, 2011.

1. murdoc158 macrumors regular

2. gta50419 macrumors 6502

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If they really decide to put it on Cincinnati Bell but not T-Mobile, there will be at least one pissed off Apple customer.

4. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how this works, but I think Cincinnati Bell is a regional carrier that works on AT&T's network. (Or is it that they use the same technology as AT&T?).

If I'm not completely off on this, then it would make sense that a regional carrier working on AT&T's network would be able to carry the iPhone. But again, I have no idea how telecom industry works, so apologies in advance.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

T-Mobile is also GSM. Apple went out of their way to build something that uses a completely different system (Verizon), but they can't add ONE freq. for a T-Mobile iPhone?

6. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is quite disappointing. I honestly thought that Apple was coming out with iPhones for all of the major carriers. But something in the negotiations broke down between T-Mobile and Apple. It could be the impending T-Mobile and AT&T merger? Not sure.

7. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I underlined the problems with your post.

8. Pooshka macrumors 65816

This year, it's not iPhone 5 or iOS 5 that will amaze me, it's Apple's security measures taken to prevent any leaks.

Bravo, Apple, Bravo!

*applauds*

9. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I know, right? I don't understand why people think that there have to be leaks in order for there to be the rumored product. I'm putting faith in the words only rumors from several credible sources that there will be a redesigned iPhone 5. Mainly, Joshua Topolsky from TIMN/Engadget.

But let's see!

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I do know there are a few pentaband phones that support both, notably the Nokia phones such as the N8. But somehow I wonder if it's technically as simple as you say. I don't know if it is or not, but if that's the case I'd think there would be more GSM phones with the AWS frequency, although I also understand carriers like to have "exclusive" models

It's unfortunate but Verizon is a much bigger market than T-Mobile, so I guess it's understandable.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not as simple as just adding a compatible frequency for Tmobile.
    Along with that they will need to come to an agreement with the carrier and also a big check from Tmobile with lots of zeros at the end;)

12. murdoc158 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem I see with this is if CB gets the iPhone, why don't any other regional wireless companies. US Cellular is big in the upper midwest and they run on Verizon's towers. So many questions need to be answered Tuesday and it can't come soon enough.

13. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

That's also true. Or the other regional carriers are just good at keeping secrets. ;)

Oct 4th seriously can't come fast enough.

14. aevelasquez macrumors regular

iPhone 5 as well as iPhone 4S leaked on Cincinnati Bell Web Page

In what could be the most solid leak yet, Cincinnati Bell may have just spilled a huge amount of information about both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

No, you didn’t read that wrong, Cincinnati Bell, a regional carrier, listed both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 for a split second today. *Two eagle-eyed readers of TUAW snapped screenshots of the listings (Cory L. for the iPhone 5 and Randy K. for the iPhone 4S), and this is the first notable evidence we’ve seen that the two devices are distinctly different. *We’ve heard lots of rumors that the iPhone 4S could potentially be a budget device, but there has been next to nothing to back this up.

These listings, both of which have since been removed, show the iPhone 5 with the 8 Megapixel camera we’ve heard so much about as well as the 4-inch screen that has long been rumored and the new A5 processor. *The newest addition is that it lists 4G speeds, but it doesn’t make it clear if this is LTE or HSPA+. *Seeing as the carrier just rolled out the latter on July 10 of this year, it’s pretty safe to assume that is what they mean, and this would also fit in with the rumor we heard earlier this week from a Chinese source that the iPhone 5 would be receiving the technology.

As for the iPhone 4S, the listing shows it as having a 3.5-inch screen and a 5 Megapixel camera, but it retains the same A5 processor as the iPhone 5. *Add in a list price that comes in $299 under the iPhone 5 and it really beefs up the rumors that it will be the “budget” iPhone.

These simple screen shots actually tell us a lot more than just the specs when you read between the lines. *No regional carrier has had the iPhone in the United States before, and this would be a large break from it just being AT&T and Verizon that have access to the device. *This could also mean a real wallop to T-Mobile since rumors are that Sprint will also be picking up at least one of the devices and they will be the lone major carrier not offering any version of it.

Seeing as these listings have been pulled it is difficult to speak to their veracity, but everything seems to check out with them. *There is always the chance that some can say this was done for publicity for a smaller carrier, but the potential backlash come Tuesday when customers of Cincinnati Bell find out they wouldn’t be able to get the devices would far outweigh any potential gain. *As with all rumors leading up to the iPhone*announcement*you should keep a large helping of salt handy. *This, however, is looking to be a fairly reliable one, and definitely, if true, something that should leave Google quaking in its Android booties as it appears Apple is about to come after them not only on the pricing front, but also attacking their flanks on*availability.

Check Out the Screen Captures Below:

Original: http://www.technobuffalo.com/compan...ppear-temporarily-on-cincinnati-bell-website/

Attached Files:

15. jdlorinser macrumors member

Isn't it true that Cincinnati Bell uses the same AWS 3G bands as Tmobile? Therefore making this version compatible with Tmobile 3G...

16. macinnv macrumors regular

Wow, Cincinnati Bell is already proving themselves to be an excellent partner w Apple. Here's to many years of future device leaks!

17. EddyP macrumors 6502

Yeah, sorry but that thread title is too vague. There have been a million of these vague "confirmed" threads around here. This thread at least had the source of the leak in the title so we could tell if we were wasting our time or not by reading it.