iPhone 5 and AT&T Microcell problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tomgolon, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Tomgolon macrumors newbie

I upgraded my iPhone to iPhone 5 and and it does not connect with Microcell. After resetting both I called AT&T and guess what - Microcell doesn't work with iPhone 5 yet. They said they were working on it and they would notify customers by texting and/or email.

Steve!!!
    We miss you so much. You would never allow this or Maps and WiFi!!!

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Bummer. I love the concept of the Microcell, but had problems with it from time to time. My Lumia 900 didn't work originally, then it did. I'm sure they'll fix it automagically. I don't have the problem. I switched to Verizon for the iPhone 5. :)

3. acarney macrumors 6502

There was a huge issue with this on release day and it turned out it was lag on AT&T's backend with switching the devices with the microcell. From my understanding by the end of the day things were working fine for most microcell users. AT&T gave you bad info...

4. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

See this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1448942

Not an AT&T issue right now. You probably need to un-register your micro cell and re-register the device. Restart your iPhone 5 and you should be good.

5. devman macrumors 65816

devman

If you upgraded or restored your iPhone 5 from a previous backup then you may need to reset network settings on it (as a result of doing that you will need to re-connect to wifi as it wipes the wifi password).

Next, you need to deactivate and then re-active the microcell. You can do this on the ATT website or using the ATT microcell app.

6. shmerls macrumors member

shmerls

AT&T sent me a Cisco 3G Micro Cell (MC) to solve a no ring problem.

The MC caused a new problem - where the other person on the call would stop hearing my voice. I called AT&T many times over 2 yrs about this new problem & their Reps denied the problem existed.

A Google search on: MC problems returns millions of entries.

With AT&T’s knowledge, I:

1. Replaced my iPhone
    2. Ran the new iPhone in factory mode
    3. Replaced my SIMM card
    4. Replaced my router

None fixed the problem. I spent 60+ hrs trouble shooting for AT&T.

Last week I read a Forbes article there is a known problem between MC & iPhone.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...-experiencing-problems-with-iphone-5-&-ios-6/

I called AT&T to learn a new black MC is available, which they sent me and seems to work without dropping calls.

I called Cisco today and found an engineer who said there WAS indeed a known MC firmware & iPhone problem but the black model fixes it.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/service-provider/mobile-internet/att_microcell.html

Between Forbes & Cisco, AT&T was withholding the truth these past 2 yrs & knowingly distributing faulty MCs to the public.

If you are having MC and iPhone or Android problems, call AT&T and request a new Black Micro Cell immediately.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

MicroCells work perfectly well with the 5 and 5S. I have friends who use them daily!

8. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

I agree. I've used a MC for over 3+ years (iPhone 4s, 5, and 5s) with no issues.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

The only complaint I hear from one of my friends is that it uses a good bit of his small bandwidth. He runs a drop cam on the same wireless network and has to turn off the dropcam to have good sound quality. Not the fault of the MC, is is just crappy ATT Internet service.

10. shmerls macrumors member

shmerls

The problem is intermittent and only happens when:

1. the bug in the white Micro Cell +
    2. how the iPhone is expecting to connect to the AT&T tower and
    3. the amount of usage on that tower is creating low signal strength

The fact you haven't experienced it is good news for you but doesn't mean it isn't real or doesn't happen to others in the perfect storm situation. Read the Forbes article and my post.

And the additional proof is that since getting the new black model I haven't had a single dropped call after 2 years of dropped calls. So something has changed for the better and don't forget, I personally spoke with a Cisco rep on the tech team that was charged with finding and fixing the problem. And they did and then released the new Black model which I'm LOVING!

My advise is: if you have poor signal strength in your home or office, or have a white MC and have dropped call or other issues, call AT&T and get the brand new Black model. It's great.

And if you never had a problem with the white one, if it ain't broke, don't fix it and consider yourselves lucky. I on the other hand went thru a heck of a time which is thankfully over :D