iPhone 5 and older docking systems

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GonzagaDynasty, Apr 8, 2013.

1. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

So there is just one thing keeping me from buying the 5....

I have three docking systems that I use daily. One in my car, one is connected to my home theatre system, and one is in the kitchen...

All three support the 30 pin connection, and two of them don't charge the phone so that's not that big of a deal....

Do any of the lightening to 30 pin adapters work for this...? It seems every review for the adapter is just a complaint about how it doesn't work..

The generic ones are cheaper but get bad reviews. They only charge your phone apparently.

Do the OEM apple ones work..? I would buy several so that I could keep my docking systems functional, I just don't want to buy a 5 and then be SOL with the docking systems... I use them a lot.

2. maliu macrumors 6502a

Yes my cabled Apple adapter works with my ancient Monster FM transmitter. If it works with that I would guess it works with most things.

3. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

Why are all the reviews on amazon saying that the adapters only charge and don't actually support audio output?

Are the OEM ones different than the generic ones?

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Apple's adapter works just fine in all three of my vehicles.

Absolutely.

OEM:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD824ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-02-m?fnode=45
    Generic: depends on the specific one you're talking about. They're not all one and the same.

5. maliu macrumors 6502a

Yes, only Apple ones do audio. Knocks do not.

6. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

that's reallllly lame.

Apple needs to lower the price on the adapters...
    This is the only reason I'm not getting a 5.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

Another option could be to use the headphone jack and not the dock for the two setups that doesn't charge your phone and then just get the one adapter.

Myself, I've got a stereo with an integrated 30-pin docking station. After getting the 5, I just put an old iPod Touch in it and keep it there. Using either home sharing or AirFoil to play music on it.