iPhone 5 and Speedtest.net

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

My cable company recently increased their Internet speed from 30 to 60Megabits. My 2010 MacBook Pro via Speedtest.net shows speeds greater than 60, yet my iPhone 5 doesn't go much past 30 (like it did when the Cable speed was 30). What gives?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

MacBooks have more room for the WiFi chipsets diversity antennas (I believe the antennas are on each side of the screen) while the iPhone 5 is more likely than not a single stream WiFi device and a does not pull a signal anywhere near as good as a MacBook Pro....right now In my room my iPhone barely gets a signal (iPhone 6) and my tablet gets a miniscule signal thats almost no good but my rMBP pulls in a signal like its normal....

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

IPhone 5 doesn't have MIMO, single stream only. Your Macbook has more.

You describe typical speeds of the iPhone 5 connected via 2.4ghz N. Force it onto 5ghz N and you should see a substantial improvement.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well assuming he has a 802.11n 2.4/5GHz router and the router isn't behind a concrete wall :D :D 5GHz gets attenuated like crazy so its position is critical.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Few people have inner walls of concrete in their homes...
    But yes requires a certain amount of hardware.

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Seems odd though that even if I lay my iPhone 5 on top of my wireless router and a speed test, it still doesn't show the speeds my laptop get from across the room. And how is it that when my Internet was 30megs, it worked fine yet now that my Internet is 60megs it still shows 30meg speeds. Personally I think the Speedtest.net App needs to be updated, because it's scale only goes up to 50megs anyway.