Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

4PPl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I had just recently purchased my iPhone 5 on release day, September 21st, and it's come to my attention that the metal band that goes around my iPhone is bent right next to the 'volume down' button. When I place the clase-less phone on a flat surface it does not sit even, and wobbles. I had put my phone in an extremely heavy duty case -The Trident Kraken A.M.S. to be exact- immediately after taking it out of the box in the parking lot of the store I purchased it from and have not taken it out since. I have attached three pictures of my phone and the possible defect. Do you think that there is any way that Apple can help me with this issue? Thanks

Attachments

• Bend1.JPG
    Bend1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 425
  • Bend2.JPG
    Bend2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 396
  • Bend3.JPG
    Bend3.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 315

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
That sucks, but I guarantee that if you take it to Apple they'll say that you bent it somehow and probably deny you any type of warranty claim. Your only hope might be if you got AppleCare+.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
If the aluminum isn't 'broken' at the seam of bend, I doubt they would even notice.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
in all seriousness, i wonder if it could be coaxed back flat again without an issue. if apple says no, i would try it.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I hate it when you have something thats super expensive and you get a defect that would be hard to show/explain to a store clerk and it makes you look picky and pedantic, but it really is an issue if you have to use it everyday and you know there's a problem.

Nelly133

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Another bent iPhone 5

So, I got my phone out of its case, an Otterbox defender, and was surprised to see that the phone had somehow bent whilst in the case.

The 'bending' is uniform on both sides of the phone, and the deformity seems to originate above the lower volume bottom.

The phone is fully functional. I have not dropped the phone.

I do think that there is a problem here - numerous other people are reporting similar issues. Heading down to an Apple store tomorrow afternoon to have a 'chat' at the genius bar.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 259
  • photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 129
  • photo copy 2.JPG
    photo copy 2.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 249

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
It seems a re-occurring theme in these bent iphone 5 threads that the phone was in some type of heavy duty case (i.e. Otterbox Defender type) and then taken out and the phone is bent. It may not be the case in all of these situations, but it seems like it is the majority.

:confused:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
It seems a re-occurring theme in these bent iphone 5 threads that the phone was in some type of heavy duty case (i.e. Otterbox Defender type) and then taken out and the phone is bent. It may not be the case in all of these situations, but it seems like it is the majority.

:confused:

I don't see how a rigid frame case like an Otterbox can cause the phone to bend. :confused:

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I don't see how a rigid frame case like an Otterbox can cause the phone to bend. :confused:

Maybe it's not the case that is causing the phone to bend, but rather the user trying to jam the phone into and out of a tightly fitting case. I've used a number of cases with my iPhones over the years that have required quite a bit of manhandling to get them in and out.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
This seems worryingly common

Doubtful. You really think the several people on an online forum (where people usually go to complain) that have somehow mysteriously bent their iPhone shows a worrisome trend in the millions if iPhones that are in the hands of the general public? The real problem is that people aren't careful enough with a $650+ piece of aluminum.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Doubtful. You really think the several people on an online forum (where people usually go to complain) that have somehow mysteriously bent their iPhone shows a worrisome trend in the millions if iPhones that are in the hands of the general public? The real problem is that people aren't careful enough with a $650+ piece of aluminum.

lol

I didn't mean worryingly common like, "Oh my god! Recall!"

I meant, its worrying that so many people seem to have the same issue. Almost like it was a design/production flaw.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
TBH, I highly doubt that all of these people have them in Otterboxes.

The *only* time I've ever seen an iPhone bend is when it was kept in your back pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.