iPhone 5 Antenna Bent

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 4PPl3, Nov 20, 2012.

1. 4PPl3 macrumors newbie

I had just recently purchased my iPhone 5 on release day, September 21st, and it's come to my attention that the metal band that goes around my iPhone is bent right next to the 'volume down' button. When I place the clase-less phone on a flat surface it does not sit even, and wobbles. I had put my phone in an extremely heavy duty case -The Trident Kraken A.M.S. to be exact- immediately after taking it out of the box in the parking lot of the store I purchased it from and have not taken it out since. I have attached three pictures of my phone and the possible defect. Do you think that there is any way that Apple can help me with this issue? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

That sucks, but I guarantee that if you take it to Apple they'll say that you bent it somehow and probably deny you any type of warranty claim. Your only hope might be if you got AppleCare+.

3. kingdLo macrumors 6502

If the aluminum isn't 'broken' at the seam of bend, I doubt they would even notice.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

in all seriousness, i wonder if it could be coaxed back flat again without an issue. if apple says no, i would try it.

5. laudern macrumors 6502a

I hate it when you have something thats super expensive and you get a defect that would be hard to show/explain to a store clerk and it makes you look picky and pedantic, but it really is an issue if you have to use it everyday and you know there's a problem.

6. Nelly133 macrumors newbie

Another bent iPhone 5

So, I got my phone out of its case, an Otterbox defender, and was surprised to see that the phone had somehow bent whilst in the case.

The 'bending' is uniform on both sides of the phone, and the deformity seems to originate above the lower volume bottom.

The phone is fully functional. I have not dropped the phone.

I do think that there is a problem here - numerous other people are reporting similar issues. Heading down to an Apple store tomorrow afternoon to have a 'chat' at the genius bar.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Attached Files:

7. mikejg macrumors member

It seems a re-occurring theme in these bent iphone 5 threads that the phone was in some type of heavy duty case (i.e. Otterbox Defender type) and then taken out and the phone is bent. It may not be the case in all of these situations, but it seems like it is the majority.

:confused:

8. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I don't see how a rigid frame case like an Otterbox can cause the phone to bend. :confused:

9. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Maybe it's not the case that is causing the phone to bend, but rather the user trying to jam the phone into and out of a tightly fitting case. I've used a number of cases with my iPhones over the years that have required quite a bit of manhandling to get them in and out.

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

11. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Doubtful. You really think the several people on an online forum (where people usually go to complain) that have somehow mysteriously bent their iPhone shows a worrisome trend in the millions if iPhones that are in the hands of the general public? The real problem is that people aren't careful enough with a $650+ piece of aluminum.

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

lol

I didn't mean worryingly common like, "Oh my god! Recall!"

I meant, its worrying that so many people seem to have the same issue. Almost like it was a design/production flaw.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

TBH, I highly doubt that all of these people have them in Otterboxes.

The *only* time I've ever seen an iPhone bend is when it was kept in your back pocket.