iPhone 5: App to really get at the file system?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jkauff, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jkauff macrumors member

I'm new to Apple and the iPhone 5. I uploaded some files that I just can't find. I downloaded a couple of File Manager apps, but they can't find them either. Is there an app that will let me browse the iPhone file system, or at least the directories where user files are stored?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Not without Jailbreaking.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

4. jkauff thread starter macrumors member

OK. I guess I should get used to the locked-down world of iOS. Thanks for your help.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Explain please.

6. scyap macrumors member

Only way would be to transfer data between apps

For example, iBooks (app) can read PDF files, and so does Safari

If you open a PDF document in Safari, you can tap it once to show the menu (I think it's at the top right corner), then tap on OPEN IN, then select iBooks.

This would send a copy (save as) of that PDF document in iBooks.

This method would work in many many types of apps, you could transfer files like videos, or images or documents.

I would suggest the app iFiles
    It has various ways of transferring files into the app and it could do basic file management such as renaming, duplicating, folders, simple editing (TXT), uploading and downloading from many sources such as WiFi transfer, FTP, dropbox, google docs, bluetooth transfer, winzip, FB, etc

I've been using it for years and its pretty amazing

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That seems like a very un-Apple way to save a simple PDF from a website.

I don't get why they don't make a dumbed-down simple filesystem like DropBox. It would only have access to your documents, videos, music, & pictures - that's it. It wouldn't show system files or anything else.

It just sucks hunting for files via apps. How the hell am I supposed to remember if the song I recently made was in Garageband, Fruity Loops or something?! (On my Mac, I save all my music projects in one folder - so I only look in one place to find them)

8. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

The only reason that I know of is that all apps are sandboxed and cannot access any information from other apps (except they can request access to your contacts, photo library, and music library).

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Or you could pay attention to where you upload files.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

What I think they need to do is, internally, group files by extension. So, for example, all your PDFs are in one place. And any app that says to the system "hey, I can open PDFs" would be able to pull up the contents of that location in a list. That way, the user never sees the filesystem, never has to think about it. The software handles it all. And whenever the user opens an app that can use a particular filetype, all their options are immediately laid out before them.

Sort of like how the pictures are all in one universal location that any app can see if it gets permission, and even edit

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Agreed, AFAIK you can't just start tossing random files on there, it doesn't function as an external drive.

12. aneftp macrumors 601

I use GoodReader.

I store all my files (word/excel docs, PDF files, movie files).

From Goodreader, I can create my own folders and upload and email people files I keep on the iPhone.

Works well for me.

Goodreader is of the "must have" apps.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would be even thankful for that...Ideally, iCloud would bring back iDisk type feature. I would just like to do this simply, save a PDF from the web, then email it without opening any other apps than Safari and Mail.

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

They could actually fix that very simply by making mail a share target for PDFs like iBooks is.

15. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

16. jkauff thread starter macrumors member

I could if I had a Mac, but I'm on a PC. I transferred a few videos through iTunes by dragging them to the iPhone, but a couple of them don't show up in the Videos app. I assume they're on the phone somewhere taking up space, since iTunes said it synced them, but I have no way to find them.

17. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

Dude it is iphone. You have to face some difficulties. Because Apple did some mistakes with iphone 5.

18. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

if you drag videos (mp4!) via iTunes onto the phone they're inside the videos app

if they're not inside the videos app, they're not on the phone.

19. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Ok, I'll bite.......Mistakes with iPhone 5? :confused:

20. scyap macrumors member

It's iOS.

I think the windows equivalent is iFunBox
    Google for it

21. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

On the PC use DiskAid to get a bit more access to the file system. But if there not in the videos app they arnt on the phone. iPhone wont let you transfer non supported files.

Always use iTunes to sync files and youll be fine. Although you cant get to the file system the truth is you dont need to. I was used to the world of windows mobile where I could tweak the registry and file system so coming to iOS was a bit of a shock. But I quickly realised I didnt need to do all this stuff, the phone works, it does the job and very well and all without me needing access to the file system.

It makes life easier by not letting you do silly things. Heck, my mum can use an iPhone and not break it.

22. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

you can use this with a PC no problem. just download the PC version on their site. i did it last night and was able to xfer some files from an app on my iphone4 to the iphone5 that itunes wouldn't xfer over. they were some audio files that were associated with the app that i wanted to keep. very easy. and it was free.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

They might be under TV shows.

24. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

Whatever mistake is mistake. Either it is with hardware or with software.

25. Appleseeds macrumors regular

The mantra of a troll if ever there was one.