iPhone 5 Apparent physical hardware upgrade...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by S7A2G6, Sep 3, 2011.

1. S7A2G6 macrumors member

S7A2G6

So, Fox news just ran a story about the "lost at the bar" iPhone 5. Evidently Apple went to some lengths to get it back. If it looks the same as iPhone 4 they could have just wiped it remotely. However, the fact that so much hoopla was involved to get it back, that must mean that there are physical changes which would mean hardware upgrades as well.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anybody talked to the guy that wound up with the phone?

2. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

What? Apple would want the phone back regardless of it being a new design, since it's a prototype they own.

3. S7A2G6 thread starter macrumors member

S7A2G6

Not true. There was a similar situation before iPhone 4 came out. There wasn't much hoopla to get it back. But this 5 has created quite a stir.

4. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

It was about the same I think, and how does this prove there's going to be a new design?

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I disagree. I think apple has "said" much more this time around. I think the term "actions speak louder then words" most definitely applies here. The only reason we saw a letter from Apple last time was because it was sent to Gizmodo. And by that time it was too late. The device was out there for everyone to see which kinda forced Apple to go through "proper channels" to get it back. This time around its different. In fact I'm still baffled as to what really went down. But whatever happened, it was shady and Apple was heavily involved in trying to get it back. Why we have no pictures, or why it wasn't sold to some tech website, we may never know. But we do know that Anthony Colon was involved. Then we have the SFPD who at first denied any knowledge of the incident now acknowledging that their officers were involved. And we have a houseful of frightened individuals who were allegedly harassed, unlawfully searched, and even offered money by people in plain clothes with "strange" badges now wanting answers as to who they let in their house.

I don't know about u, but I for one think Apple has said a ton.

7. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Unless Apple confirms that they went to search someone's house, I don't believe it.

And I've seen no quotes from the SFPD except for "did not go into the house" and then questions about the residents citizenship. This comes from the SFWeekly article that's linked on the front page of MR.

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

You might want to take another look at the front page then.

"Contradicting past statements that no records exist of police involvement in the search for the lost prototype, San Francisco Police Department spokesman Lt. Troy Dangerfield now tells SF Weekly that "three or four" SFPD officers accompanied two Apple security officials in an unusual search of a Bernal Heights man's home."