IPHONE 5 APPLE CARE PLUS ISSUE...Please Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrcricket, Aug 1, 2014.

1. mrcricket macrumors newbie

I bought my iphone 5 and Apple Care plus ( extended protection coverage ) from USA. But i m in india rt now for business purpose ! Recently my charging port was damaged, so i got it fixed from a local shop around here and they fixed it. But my screen was cracked prior to this scenario. Next month i m going back to USA. Will i be able to use my Protection Plan and get a new Set of phone or is my warranty Voided. I cant see any visible damage to the phone due to this opening of the charging port and getting it fixed ! it looks the same. Is my warranty voided. Please Help . i would really appreciate honest and helpful replies. Thank you :) PLEASSEEE

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

No one here can answer your question. Only the Apple Store can. They just started offering in-store repairs of the screen, so maybe the question won't even come up. Basically, until you go to a store, you won't know for sure.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Yea the warranty will be void.
    Why did you pay for apple care plus then pay extra for a guy to repair it ?

4. mrcricket thread starter macrumors newbie

i m in india rt now ! the authorised service providers here dont touch any iphone purchased from abroad.. so this was my only way to get it fixed !

----------

now the front of my iphone is 70% damged but it still kinda holds together and will last for a month for sure. If i go upto them and ask them to replace my iphone because my screen is almost shattered. will they do it then or inspect my iphone and void my warranty because my phone was once opened !
    or
    Am i obliged to tell them myself ?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If they figure out it's been tampered with they won't touch it. Only thing to do is make an appointment when you get back to the US and find out.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You aren't obliged to tell them anything except that the phone is damaged and what that damage is – if you want the phone fixed.

However, and likewise, Apple is not obligated to YOU to fix a device that does not have Apple original parts.

Apple will examine your phone before they do any work. Whether that is parts replacement or a phone swap.

You knew this would void your warranty. That was the risk you took. You cannot expect Apple to make good on your gamble. They might, but you can't expect it.

7. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

I doubt they would because they would just be replacing the iPhone unless you go to an apple store that just replaced the screens. And even then sometimes they won't notice I would go in and not tell them what you fixed and just say you need your screen replaced

8. itjw macrumors 65816

Come on guys, this is an EASY answer:

MAYBE

You did void the warranty. We can argue the semantics all you want, but that is true. It is ALSO true that you are not under obligation to disclose that.

Applecare is usually so good (+ especially) that odds are you'll be ok, but let's say hypothetically someone on MR said "Yes, 100% covered" and then Apple said "no way".

What would you do? Say "But some guy on the internet said it'd be covered!!!"? Do you think that would work if you did?

Take it in. Don't tell them anything you don't have to. You'll probably be fine. Maybe.

:D

9. mrcricket thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply !

Thanks for the reply ....just one last question !
    It may sound crazy ...But lets say i go in there and apple replaces my phone with a new set ! And i go home. but later when they inspect it .they find out that its been tampered with coz i think the guy who fixed it for me may have changed the original charging port with a new one....now....Is this a federal offense ? Like not telling them . Can they sue me on this ?

----------

Thanks for the reply ....just one last question !
    It may sound crazy ...But lets say i go in there and apple replaces my phone with a new set ! And i go home. but later when they inspect it .they find out that its been tampered with coz i think the guy who fixed it for me may have changed the original charging port with a new one....now....Is this a federal offense ? Like not telling them . Can they sue me on this ?

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Uh. No.