iPhone 5 AppleCare replacement an iPhone5S or 5C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipedro, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

My iPhone 5's speaker stopped working. If I get it exchanged will they still have iPhone 5 in stock for replacement? They stopped making them so I'm guessing that they don't have too many. Might Apple argue that iPhone 5C would be a more equal replacement but what if I want the aluminum exterior?

Has anybody gotten an iPhone 4S as an iPhone 4 AppleCare replacement? Or an iPad 4 for an iPad 3 replacement?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I believe what you have described has happened, it is rare. Apple has plenty of iPhone5's.

Remember, only until a few months ago Apple provided original iPhone 2G in the scarce 4GB (minted for only two months) as replacements.

3. Lefty21 macrumors regular

You will receive an iPhone 5. Just because they stopped selling them doesn't mean they don't have plenty of service replacements.

4. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I found a precedent.

I have a black iPhone 5 64GB unlocked. Wasn't the 16GB the most popular model the last time around? What are the odds that they still have 64GB models lying around?

Also, I remember seeing iPhone 4's being sold in official Vodafone stores in Portugal as recently as this summer. I wonder if Apple clears their discontinued models in cheaper markets. I'm in Canada.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Had the same prob a month ago.
    They replaced the speaker.
    If they don't do the repair on the spot they will give you another iPhone 5 replacement.
    You're not going to get a 5C or a 5S.
    They will replace it if they need to with he same model, color and storage.

6. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

And if they don't have them in stock, they will order one.

7. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

You will get same model, same color....!!

My iphone 5 - 64 Gb black's power button was not working. They replaced it a coupe of weeks back with the exact same thing.

They don't even do a color change.

However my relative was lucky for his ipad 2....it was replaced last year by apple for ipad 3. But when my ipad 2 had an issue, I got ipad 2 only.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The odds are extremely good and far better for the 32 and 64GB models than you seem to think. Yes, the 16GB model is the most popular. Which means that Apple sold less of the other two. Which means they sat on shelves or are still sitting on shelves. Which means, your iPhone will be replaced with the same kind because the stock hasn't moved.

I bought my wife a 64GB iPhone 5 about two weeks before the release of the 5s and 5c. Based on it's serial it was made in November of last year. Which meant it sat on the shelf in the backroom of my Apple store for about ten months.

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Apple keeps producing a number of iPhone 5 to keep up with post sale services. You won't get anything different from an iPhone 5 with the same colour and capacity.