iPhone 5 battery disappointing compared to my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dj-method-x, May 24, 2013.

1. dj-method-x macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 would usually make it through an entire work day with a bit to spare. Today I have 2 hours left until my work day is over and my iPhone 5 is at 14% as I write this post. Being that my iPhone 4 is old as hell, I figured I would at least be getting battery life on par with the 4 on my 5.

1. Was this expectation wrong?
    2. How can I tell if I maybe have a bad battery?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

first of all, you're being very vague. We don't know what you're doing with your iPhone.

With an LTE phone, you're going to use more data, because it's quicker, and therefore you'll do more with it. Streaming audio? Well, it'll be streaming audio at a higher quality. Streaming video? same thing.

Also, there are a ton of things you can do with your iPhone 5 to improve battery life. Go into location services and turn off the apps that don't need it (you should only really need it on maps and weather) and turn off push notifications for apps that you don't want to be notified about (most games will ask if they can send you notifications, which are always ads)

Go into privacy > location services and scroll down to system services. You don't need location services for most of those, except cell network search.

I turned off a lot of these, calibrated my battery, and my battery life was much improved.

3. Raggsokk macrumors member

1) Expectation? You could've easily checked this in beforehand. It's like just expecting your iPhone 4 when you got it would have better battery life than an early '2000 Nokia. Battery life on phones have gone one way since the smartphones.

2) Battery life will vary slightly from battery to battery, but you would notice a truly bad one. Do you use LTE/4G alot? Is your screen on a higher brightness setting? Do you have multiple apps running in the background?

There are several factors you should consider where you might be using things that didn't exist on your i4, and thus gives the impression of worse battery life. As it is with a brand new Galaxy s4 and a Nokia 3310.

4. dj-method-x thread starter macrumors newbie

I use my phone with the same brightness/push/location settings that I did with my iPhone 4. My general use hasn't changed much either. I figured I'd get at least on par if not better battery life on my iPhone 5.

The bigger question is how can I tell if my current battery life is normal or if I have a bad battery?

5. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

My iPhone 5 has better battery life than any of my previous iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S). I can go almost 2 days without charging under normal usage.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom