iPhone 5 battery from eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jafingi, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Hey guys,

I have an iPhone 5 bought on launch date here in Denmark, so it's a little over a year old. Lately, my battery life has been very very disappointing. It cannot hold charge throughout the day, and shuts off when it shows about 30% (and if I boot it again, I just get the "Low battery" icon).

Also, sometimes it jumps straight from 40% to 20% and then within minutes it shuts off.

Unfortunately, it's over one year old, so the warranty is expired (and I don't think there's warranty on "wear" on batteries anyways), so I can't really get it replaced by Apple. Furthermore, we don't have any Apple Stores in Denmark, so I can't even pay for a replacement.

So I'm looking at some batteries on eBay that has a good pricetag, and then I'm going to replace it myself.

Does anyone have experience with these batteries? Are they reliable? They does indeed look like Apple's original batteries, but I know they're knock-offs.

2. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

In Spain and a lot of European countries you have a two year warranty. If that's the case with Denmark too they should do something about it. As long as you can show them some weird behavior they should take care of it.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i personally wouldnt buy ebay/amazon batteries, since they are likely cheap chinese knock offs. i would suggest finding a reliable online store or parts supply website like ifixit.com. there are also a few parts vendors on our site here that may be willing to help you out.

4. fortheus macrumors regular

Go to apple support page. They will send link to upload diagnostic of your phone

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There are defective batteries floating around op. I would recommend contacting apple as they are swapping them out for free.

6. jafingi thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

Yes, but the second year isn't really warranty, and it still doesn't cover "normal wear", which I think they'll say it is.

7. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

It might be covered under the second year too, although only the first year is "real" warranty. That's what I was told by both Telia and Telenor two weeks ago when asking for the exact same thing.

(I'm from Denmark as well)

8. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I gotta chime in here,I have been in this same situation numerous times and as someone stated there ARE defective batteries floating around and although ebay has killer deals on batteries I have had a couple times where I was waiting on a battery I bought off ebay to get my battery life back only to change it out and have a big disappointment because they are nowhere close to original battery life NO WHERE CLOSE! There are people on ebay with OEM batteries and for the extra $5-$10 its worth it to seek those sellers out and say forget the cheap ones on a situation like this especially since you intend to use the phone as yours.I may be saying this to a pro but the iPhone 5 battery replacement is a breeze and ifixit is your friend on this stuff.

TIPS!

1.Try to find a listing that states they are 100% new original apple batteries not claiming to be (Just like them) or (of equal quality)

2.Be very careful when prying the battery out of the iPhone 5 LOL I changed a battery on one and put it together and neither the power or home button worked after research I realized during my efforts to get the battery out I had folded two circuits on the logic board the ones for the power and home buttons at the time it was a $500 mistake just words of advice...

9. jafingi thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

Just emailed Telia, and they said I should come by a store to send it to repairs. So I'll try that. Hope I can get a courtesy phone :D

10. roberthalles macrumors newbie

I bought a battery for my 4S off eBay, and it lasted about 6 months. Better to buy from a retailer.

11. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Check it mate, it is actual warranty in Spain. Took an iPad 3 in the other day, 19 months old. Screen was doing weird stuff, can't really describe it. They got me a refurb no questions asked. They just made me clear how important it is to buy Apple stuff at their stores, otherwise you don't get such a good service. (I knew that already, lol)

12. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

We don't have any Apple stores in Denmark, only Apple resellers. A shame really, since it sounds like Apple stores offers much better service than the resellers we have.

13. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Ooops... I stand corrected then.

Yes, if you buy an iPhone from some reseller here in Spain good luck with getting it fixed after the first year. You most likely will have to send it in, thus lose it for 1-2 weeks minimum. If you're lucky they might fix it (never send a new one or refurb).

At Apple well, you walk in, 5 minutes, walk out. You had your phone swapped for a refurbed in the process. :)

14. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

They don't send you a new/refurb unit?

In Denmark we must send it in thus be without the phone for a few weeks, and if the phones has a defect that's related to the production of it (not any defects that's self-inflicted), they will replace the phone with a new/refurbed one. I've just done that with two different iPhone 5, I got both replaced with all new phones.

15. posguy99 macrumors 6502

That's a battery with at least one bad cell.

16. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

You just walk into the Apple Store and they swap your phone right there, you don't have to send it anywhere.

17. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

Yes, you do that in an Apple store. At resellers (at least in Denmark), they ship the phone to their workshop who then again ships it to Apple if a replacement is issued. Apple ships back a replacement to the workshop, who then sends the replacement phone back to the shop once the replacement phone has been tested and approved. Terrible workflow if you ask me.