Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 5 battery goes from 20% to 1% in less than 10 minutes

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Recently been noticing that my battery "bottoms out" quickly once I hit the 20% remaining level. I've done full reset, forced discharge, the works. But it will routinely drop normally down to 20% (I'll get the alert) and then in a matter of 10 minutes or less, drop quickly down to 1%. In some cases, it will go straight from 16% down to 1%. And then it will auto-power-off.

Doesn't matter what I'm using it for. Will happen while I watch it, phone doing nothing other than screen glowing.

Other than trip to Genius bar....any other ideas?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Something is surely wrong with your battery. That last 20% is when my iPhone seems to hang onto battery life the longest.

Comment

lfaber

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
Recently been noticing that my battery "bottoms out" quickly once I hit the 20% remaining level. I've done full reset, forced discharge, the works. But it will routinely drop normally down to 20% (I'll get the alert) and then in a matter of 10 minutes or less, drop quickly down to 1%. In some cases, it will go straight from 16% down to 1%. And then it will auto-power-off.

Doesn't matter what I'm using it for. Will happen while I watch it, phone doing nothing other than screen glowing.

Other than trip to Genius bar....any other ideas?

I have the exact same problem with my iPhone. I am thinking that I will go into the Apple Store and see what they say. None of Apple's Forums mention this issue. Just some long-winded explanation on how to get the most out of one's battery.

Comment

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I went to the Genius bar, confirmed as bad battery. They replaced it.

Also, kill FaceBook app when not in use.....sucker eats battery like crazy.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.