iPhone 5 battery help please

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wagwaan, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Wagwaan macrumors newbie

I've had my iphone about 8 months now after my brother gave it to me. He used it for about 5 months beforehand so it's out of warranty. The problem is that the last month my iphone battery has been dying at a rate of 15 percent per hour. When I was on ios 6 It would go down at about 2 percent per hour with moderate usage. Since I updated to ios 7.04 about three months ago it was going down at about 5 percent per hour but only when I was charging it directly into the wall with an original iPhone wall charger. Though recently my data cable broke about a month ago and I replaced it though I don't think it's an original. Also I had to move to a new location and here they don't have any 3 pin wall sockets so I have to use an extension gang socket to charge the iphone. I am currently in Saudi Arabia and wanted to know if it's the fact that I'm using an extension that my iphone battery is dying so quickly. Does Saudi Arabia work on a differnt power outtage and does this therefore mean my iphone is not charging properly or is it the data cable. I've also charged the phone from my laptop with the same problem.

2. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Sounds like a bad battery. Is there anywhere close to you where they might sell iphone batteries? I would try that and just replace it. It's really a simple process if you have the right tools.

3. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Replacing an iPhone battery takes about 10 minutes... you only need to remove 4 screws (the two on the bottom of the iPhone itself to open it up and then I believe there are 2 inside for a plate that holds the ribbon connector to the motherboard firmly in place). After you remove those the plate just comes right off and just pop the ribbon connecter off the board and pull the battery out.

4. Wagwaan thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest guys I'm in the middle of nowhere in a small town in Saudi though I'm goin back hope to the uk in bout 3 months soon as my contract ends so I guess il have to make do until then. Though I'm pretty sure it's because I'm not plugging it straight into the wall with my 3 pin as I had the same issue few months back but I was staying in riyadh and as soon as I started using the wall socket directly the iphone started lasting a lot longer. Thanks for your help guys

Ps.is there anyway to downgrade back to ios 6 or if I jailbreak my iphone are there any tweaks or apps that will extend my battery life?

5. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Depends what iphone you have. If you're on 7.1 or higher on a IP5 or 5s, there's no way to downgrade back to ios 6 and jailbreak. However, if you're on 7.0.x then you can jailbreak it. There are apps like BatteryDoctorPro that can help you with battery life and give you detailed info.

If you have a IP4 I believe there is a jailbreak out for 7.1 untethered. You will have to look it up.

6. Chris7811 macrumors newbie

try turning off background app refresh. Then if you are done trying turning off auto brightness and lower it yourself.

7. Wagwaan thread starter macrumors newbie