Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsbfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I have had my 5 since launch date and I will admit, I use the sucker from time to time (not as much as a normal person). However, every little questionable instance I rack my brain over because of my slight diagnosed OCD condition. Without any usage on this sucker in 2-3 days and it just in sleep mode and it was at 100% battery life late Saturday night I realized it just read 79%. 21% in a few days with basically the email app, messaging, phone and clock app running. Is that normal? I found a post on apple.com about managing battery life more so I went in and changed a few settings.

So first question, is the above normal?

Onto the second question, all this made me realize that when I am on one of my out of town trips via a train or bus and using my phone more than normal when it reaches 15-20% it tends to show the red battery icon and turn off by itself. Usually it allows me to turn on to only show that icon again until I plug it in. I don't recall it ever completely turning off for me but it could have at one point I just can't remember. Anyways, looking on line it says it may need a battery calibration where you let it completely drain and then completely charge up.

Second question, should I worry about the above? What I read online seems to lean towards it doing that when its at 1-10% (completely turning off that is, and like I said I think it happened once before but I cannot be certain; hasn't happened recently and I never even let it get down to that, I usually charge at like 50% lol)

Thanks in advance for reading this. Seriously, I doubt this gets any sort of reply but I was just wondering. Even with minimal usage on this thing (I mainly use as an alarm clock), I have grown fond of it.

vampirella

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
brussels
I have had my 5 since launch date and I will admit, I use the sucker from time to time (not as much as a normal person). However, every little questionable instance I rack my brain over because of my slight diagnosed OCD condition. Without any usage on this sucker in 2-3 days and it just in sleep mode and it was at 100% battery life late Saturday night I realized it just read 79%. 21% in a few days with basically the email app, messaging, phone and clock app running. Is that normal? I found a post on apple.com about managing battery life more so I went in and changed a few settings.

So first question, is the above normal?

Onto the second question, all this made me realize that when I am on one of my out of town trips via a train or bus and using my phone more than normal when it reaches 15-20% it tends to show the red battery icon and turn off by itself. Usually it allows me to turn on to only show that icon again until I plug it in. I don't recall it ever completely turning off for me but it could have at one point I just can't remember. Anyways, looking on line it says it may need a battery calibration where you let it completely drain and then completely charge up.

Second question, should I worry about the above? What I read online seems to lean towards it doing that when its at 1-10% (completely turning off that is, and like I said I think it happened once before but I cannot be certain; hasn't happened recently and I never even let it get down to that, I usually charge at like 50% lol)

Thanks in advance for reading this. Seriously, I doubt this gets any sort of reply but I was just wondering. Even with minimal usage on this thing (I mainly use as an alarm clock), I have grown fond of it.

euh? I would just relax and not worry at all ;)

bsbfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I am good. I tested it and it took a week to go from 100 to 5%. I was afraid to have it go any lower lol! I really need to enjoy this thing more instead of examine it every other day while its in a case lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.