Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cchs229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Hello,
I've been extremely frustrated with my
iPhone battery lately... The most usage I can get out of it is about 3 hours and it is almost always overheating when off of wifi.
It also always dies at unusual battery percentages. One time it died at 40% when I used the flash on my camera to take a picture.
I am still under my 1 year warranty. What options are available to me if I take it into an apple store to be fixed?
I checked iBackupbot: The design capacity is 1430 MHz and my phone is currently at 1209 MHz.
Thank you.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I had the same happen last week. ibackupbot said 84%. Apple store said 79%. Battery replaced.

Did you do the math? Is so disregard this post.

But the percentage shown in iBackupBot is current charge level. Apples software shows the percentage of battery health, so for the OP 1205/1430 = 84.5%.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Did you do the math? Is so disregard this post.

But the percentage shown in iBackupBot is current charge level. Apples software shows the percentage of battery health, so for the OP 1205/1430 = 84.5%.

Huh? My point was that even though I calculated the battery health according to iBackupbot as 84%, the same day the Genius tested it as 79% and replaced the battery. Did the math(s). iBackupbot wasn't entirely accurate.

Cchs229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Just checking back in...
I just got back from the apple store and after I told them my situation, they offered to run a battery diagnostic. Apparently my phone passed the diagnostic so there wasn't much they could do in terms of a replacement. But they did tell me that my twitter app appeared on my crash log??? So they suggested I uninstall my twitter app and install it again.
I'll see how that goes....

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Just checking back in...
I just got back from the apple store and after I told them my situation, they offered to run a battery diagnostic. Apparently my phone passed the diagnostic so there wasn't much they could do in terms of a replacement. But they did tell me that my twitter app appeared on my crash log??? So they suggested I uninstall my twitter app and install it again.

What geniuses they are *rolls eyes*
Safari crashes all the time, are we to uninstall that too?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
What geniuses they are *rolls eyes*
Safari crashes all the time, are we to uninstall that too?

Given he has crash logs, I'm assuming he hasn't done a clean install. 90%* of battery issues are caused by software. They are geniuses that understand that not all battery issues are caused by the battery (putting a new battery in a phone which has a software problem causing battery drain will only cause an angry customer to come back saying "YOU FIXED MY PHONE AND IT"S THE SAME").

Apple guarantees that the battery will hold a certain charge, from Apple.com:

A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80 per cent of its original capacity at 500 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

If it passes the battery test, then it is still at >80% capacity. Given that it still holds at least 80% capacity, and is experiencing only 30% battery life, that would suggest, to me, that some other cause is at fault (most likely software).

I would suggest doing a clean install, and not restoring from backup. If you do that, you may find it's fixed. if it's still the same, then take it back to Apple, telling them "here - it's a clean install, and still getting <3h usage, therefore something else must be causing battery drain.

* Made up stat, but probably realistic from experience.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Just checking back in...

I've gotten this before...lame.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Given he has crash logs, I'm assuming he hasn't done a clean install. 90%* of battery issues are caused by software. They are geniuses that understand that not all battery issues are caused by the battery (putting a new battery in a phone which has a software problem causing battery drain will only cause an angry customer to come back saying "YOU FIXED MY PHONE AND IT"S THE SAME").

Apple guarantees that the battery will hold a certain charge, from Apple.com:

A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80 per cent of its original capacity at 500 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

If it passes the battery test, then it is still at >80% capacity. Given that it still holds at least 80% capacity, and is experiencing only 30% battery life, that would suggest, to me, that some other cause is at fault (most likely software).

I would suggest doing a clean install, and not restoring from backup. If you do that, you may find it's fixed. if it's still the same, then take it back to Apple, telling them "here - it's a clean install, and still getting <3h usage, therefore something else must be causing battery drain.

* Made up stat, but probably realistic from experience.

I understand all that. However, I did a clean install on my i5 and set it up as a new phone. I also refrained from installing *any* apps. Safari and other system apps showed in my crash log within 24hrs. I have also experienced dreadful battery life ever since installing iOS7, and my battery checks out just fine. So a genius wouldn't be able to point to something so simple as an app appearing in my crash log...

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
How much will they charge you for a replacement?

My launch day iPhone5 battery life is now really dreadful. I charge it every day, so it's close to (or over?) 500 charge cycles. Now I have to charge it mid-day every day to be able to make it through. Also having it drop from 30-40% to zero immediately fairly often.

No AC+, obviously out of warranty. I would let it limp along until the 6 comes out, but I was planning to hand off the 5 to my mother-in-law, as she's using my old 4 now. With the gimpy battery it would be too unreliable to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.