Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Hello! Up until today my iPhone 5 has gotten really good battery life for being two years old. I can usually go from the time I wake up until I go to bed without charging. I normally leave Bluetooth and Background App Refresh turned off.

Yesterday I bought a Fitbit Flex used. In order to use it correctly, I obviously need Bluetooth and Background App Refresh turned on. For BAR I've turned off all other apps.

Any suggestions for how to maintain the good battery life I had? I'd like to be able to use the Fitbit and app the way they're intended, but having my phone die around dinner time when it used to go until bedtime is rather inconvenient.

Thanks!

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
Hello! Up until today my iPhone 5 has gotten really good battery life for being two years old. I can usually go from the time I wake up until I go to bed without charging. I normally leave Bluetooth and Background App Refresh turned off.

Yesterday I bought a Fitbit Flex used. In order to use it correctly, I obviously need Bluetooth and Background App Refresh turned on. For BAR I've turned off all other apps.

Any suggestions for how to maintain the good battery life I had? I'd like to be able to use the Fitbit and app the way they're intended, but having my phone die around dinner time when it used to go until bedtime is rather inconvenient.

Thanks!
Man if your iP5 battery sucks just replace it .. after two years mmm it really needs replacing..
you can check your battery condition in this useful app called Battery Life
And you check battery capacity .. in my occasion myine batt. SUCKS as u can se on the pics.. and will be replaced today with brand new.. (I hope it will be brand new..)
Your/mine batt. is 2012 or 2013 year manufacture .. And I have ordered 2014 year version battery.
Pics:
IMG_0077.PNG IMG_0076.PNG IMG_0075.PNG batt.jpg

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
View attachment 559772 View attachment 559774 View attachment 559775 View attachment 559776
Man if your iP5 battery sucks just replace it .. after two years mmm it really needs replacing..
you can check your battery condition in this useful app called Battery Life
And you check battery capacity .. in my occasion myine batt. SUCKS as u can se on the pics.. and will be replaced today with brand new.. (I hope it will be brand new..)
Your/mine batt. is 2012 or 2013 year manufacture .. And I have ordered 2014 year version battery.
Pics:

Except that it doesn't "suck" on its own. As I said before I got the Fitbit my iP5 could go all day on one charge. So I can only assume that the Fitbit app and the necessary settings are power hungry and a new battery or phone won't really help much.

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
Except that it doesn't "suck" on its own. As I said before I got the Fitbit my iP5 could go all day on one charge. So I can only assume that the Fitbit app and the necessary settings are power hungry and a new battery or phone won't really help much.
Well I really don't believe you have still good battery after two years..
As ppl has contracts usually 2 years and by then batt. capacity is really low..
Check your batt. in that app and see the capacity level..

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Your Fitbit is not killing your battery. I use a Fitbit Surge daily with my iPhone 6+ and it does nothing to the battery. You can turn off BT and just sync a couple times a day if you want.

I am thinking a new battery will be the answer.

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
OK I've received and replaced battery, fully charged and it is amazing capacity is nice and full.
Will test battery life ..

IMG_0080.PNG

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
it is in cydia .. u need to be jailbroken

Not jail breaking just to check my battery health. When I last checked it on Coconut Battery on my Mac it still had 80% capacity or so. That was just a few months ago.

Leaving Bluetooth off and only turning it on when I sync the Fitbit seems to be helping.

How can you not believe that a two year old phone still gets good battery life? Apple doesn't always do planned obsolescence, you know. If you take care of your device and manage features, there's not reason you shouldn't be getting just as good battery life as you did when it was new.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not jail breaking just to check my battery health. When I last checked it on Coconut Battery on my Mac it still had 80% capacity or so. That was just a few months ago.

Leaving Bluetooth off and only turning it on when I sync the Fitbit seems to be helping.

How can you not believe that a two year old phone still gets good battery life? Apple doesn't always do planned obsolescence, you know. If you take care of your device and manage features, there's not reason you shouldn't be getting just as good battery life as you did when it was new.

You will find that leaving BT on will not do much to the battery. When not in use it goes to sleep and uses very little power. Only time it would make a difference is if you were actually using BT for long periods of time. Not the case with a Fitbit as it only syncs every once in a while.

Reactions: Ethos Evoss

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
You will find that leaving BT on will not do much to the battery. When not in use it goes to sleep and uses very little power. Only time it would make a difference is if you were actually using BT for long periods of time. Not the case with a Fitbit as it only syncs every once in a while.
That's good to know this ..
Thnx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.