Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So I have the iphone 5 and I unplugged it from the charger this morning and am about 5 hours from when I unplugged it. I am now at about 80% battery. Does this seem right? I am an average user not to heavy, and the phone says that I have almost 2 hours usage.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
That seems about right. My ideal battery life would be 1 hour of usage per 10% of battery life but it seems I can't reach that unless it's (SUPER) light use. And I consider my current usage as average

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
That seems about right. My ideal battery life would be 1 hour of usage per 10% of battery life but it seems I can't reach that unless it's (SUPER) light use. And I consider my current usage as average

So only hope to only get about 10 hours of use out of your phone? I just thought the battery was better than what I am getting. Maybe my expectations were too high. I would expect at least 15 hours of use.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So only hope to only get about 10 hours of use out of your phone? I just thought the battery was better than what I am getting. Maybe my expectations were too high. I would expect at least 15 hours of use.

Well, that's my personal opinion. I hope to get about 10 hours of usage out of my phone but I find I usually get 7-9 hours of usage which is still fairly good compared to others. (when i say usage, i mean the usage that shows up under settings -> general -> usage. My phone lasts me until the end of the day so I am alright with that; I just charge my phone every night.

Some people get 1-2 days and if that's all usage, I can't imagine how they can do that. if it's both usage and standby, it's still hard to believe but possible, i guess.

I personally feel 15 hours of use is too high of an expectation. Smartphones are big battery drainers compared to basic phones. The iPhone has a small battery too. The iPhone 5 has a 1430 mAh battery compared to the S3's 2100 mAh battery. For comparison, the phone I had before my iPhone 5 (it was a Samsung Gravity 2 and is a basic phone) had a 1000 mAh battery

if you are worried about your phone not lasting you until the end of the day; you can opt for an external battery pack and lightning cable or just bring the brick adapter and the lightning cable around. You can go for battery cases too if you want but I don't like them because they're more expensive than battery packs

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Well, that's my personal opinion. I hope to get about 10 hours of usage out of my phone but I find I usually get 7-9 hours of usage which is still fairly good compared to others. (when i say usage, i mean the usage that shows up under settings -> general -> usage. My phone lasts me until the end of the day so I am alright with that; I just charge my phone every night.

Some people get 1-2 days and if that's all usage, I can't imagine how they can do that. if it's both usage and standby, it's still hard to believe but possible, i guess.

I personally feel 15 hours of use is too high of an expectation. Smartphones are big battery drainers compared to basic phones. The iPhone has a small battery too. The iPhone 5 has a 1430 mAh battery compared to the S3's 2100 mAh battery. For comparison, the phone I had before my iPhone 5 (it was a Samsung Gravity 2 and is a basic phone) had a 1000 mAh battery

if you are worried about your phone not lasting you until the end of the day; you can opt for an external battery pack and lightning cable or just bring the brick adapter and the lightning cable around. You can go for battery cases too if you want but I don't like them because they're more expensive than battery packs

Oh I did not know that you were talking about usage in setting menu. Yea I think 7 to 9 is good. I was talking about total hours of having the phone away from the charge. Yea this not my first iphone I had the iphone 4 and the 3G and I really just can't remember how good they were on battery.

Everyone always talks about how good the battery is on the iphone and how it sets is apart from the android phones, but I just don't get that argument. I had an galaxy nexus gsm model before the iphone, and to be honest I really can't see any difference in battery life. Some times I feel like the Gnex was better at points. I don't know I think we should all have higher expectations for smartphone batteries. The smartphone has been out for a very long time we should be getting a full day out of a smartphone with heavy use. Just my thoughts

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So I have the iphone 5 and I unplugged it from the charger this morning and am about 5 hours from when I unplugged it. I am now at about 80% battery. Does this seem right? I am an average user not to heavy, and the phone says that I have almost 2 hours usage.
Same as any other question on usage it's really impossible to say based solely on your OP. You have to determine what your baseline is based on your usage. Terms like "average" mean nothing. The majority of users think that they are average.

Again, usage varies. Depending on what you're doing you can expect a few hours of use or many hours of use. Hours of use by itself doesn't mean anything.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Same as any other question on usage it's really impossible to say based solely on your OP. You have to determine what your baseline is based on your usage. Terms like "average" mean nothing. The majority of users think that they are average.

Again, usage varies. Depending on what you're doing you can expect a few hours of use or many hours of use. Hours of use by itself doesn't mean anything.

Ok so my iphone said 2 hours of usage in the setting menu and I had about 80% battery. In that time I checked gizmodo and Engadget on safari, check the forums on tapatalk app, and sent a few text messages. Not sure how much to the minute on each of those, but that is about all I did. Does that seem like normal battery drain for that.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Do you guys think we keep to close of an eye on the battery %, and make ourselves think we are using a lot of battery? I am I have posted 3 responses on tapatalk and I went from 61% to 59%. To me that seems like a lot, but maybe I just watch it too close now that I think my battery is draining faster. I think I could drive myself crazy trying to figure it out.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
It seems like your battery is draining a little fast. Did you setup as a new phone or did your restore from a backup? If you did restore from a backup that could be the issue.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
It seems like your battery is draining a little fast. Did you setup as a new phone or did your restore from a backup? If you did restore from a backup that could be the issue.

I have not tried a restore at all cause when I did it started downloading 6.1 update which I already have on my phone.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I have not tried a restore at all cause when I did it started downloading 6.1 update which I already have on my phone.

If you get 8 or more hours of usage off one charge that's pretty good unless you use the music app all day. If your saying 2 hours off the charger and you are at 80% then that's not good but if you are getting 2 hours of usage in the setting menu then that's not bad. I'm at 35% with 5 hours usage right now but I also have 2 days off the charger.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
If you get 8 or more hours of usage off one charge that's pretty good unless you use the music app all day. If your saying 2 hours off the charger and you are at 80% then that's not good but if you are getting 2 hours of usage in the setting menu then that's not bad. I'm at 35% with 5 hours usage right now but I also have 2 days off the charger.

Ok so maybe I am just crazy and thought I should have better battery. I just check and I was at like 47% with almost 6 hours usages in setting. I would guess I would get close to 10 or so usage.

I am just not use to seeing it drop a couple of % points every few min when the screen is on.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok so maybe I am just crazy and thought I should have better battery. I just check and I was at like 47% with almost 6 hours usages in setting. I would guess I would get close to 10 or so usage.

I am just not use to seeing it drop a couple of % points every few min when the screen is on.
Almost 6 hours of usage at about 50% of battery...that's actually better than what most get. In a lot of cases 6 hours of usage would be putting most people at below 25%...some even close to having a dead battery completely. So, not only is this not bad usage, it's not even just above average usage, it's actually quite a bit above average usage. Doesn't seem like there's anything to worry about at all.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Almost 6 hours of usage at about 50% of battery...that's actually better than what most get. In a lot of cases 6 hours of usage would be putting most people at below 25%...some even close to having a dead battery completely. So, not only is this not bad usage, it's not even just above average usage, it's actually quite a bit above average usage. Doesn't seem like there's anything to worry about at all.

Ok I guess I did not look at the percentage that much before. It just seems fast when you start to use your phone and after you get done typing a reply on MR and send a text message your percentage is down 2%. I guess I just have to get use to it.

So it seems that what I am finding out is that for every 2 hours of usage you have in the setting menu you should have 20% battery drain. That is about what I average. It just seems fast I guess now that I keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.