iPhone 5 battery replaced by Apple :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SavMBP15, Jan 27, 2014.

1. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I've got an iPhone 5 that is a little over 14 months old and covered under Applecare. For the past couple months the phone wouldn't hold a charge for very long and die at around 18%.

So this past weekend I was in Louisville so I made an appointment at the Apple Store in the Oxmoor mall. Got there at the right time and had to wait about 10 minutes until a tech helped me. It was just short of controlled chaos in this store at about 4:30pm. There must have been 20+ apple people running around and about 60 customers.

So, I get introducted to my genius and she proceeds to ask me what is wrong, affirms that it is a bummer to have a phone that won't hold a charge (I laughed when she did this since I have read the Apple Genius operators manual that talks about making these statements) and then proceeds to get my phone so she can run diagnostics on it. Looked like she did it all wirelessly, which I thought was impressive. A minute or so later, she shows me the graph for the battery and that it is in fact bad. She checks and sees that she has the part in stock, sees that I have Applecare and says I can come back in 45 minutes and it will be replaced. I said sure, signed and left.

Felt weird walking around asking people in the mall what time it was, but I eventually went back once 45 minutes have elapsed and got my phone after 5 minutes. Holds a charge like a champ.

How come they cannot diagnose your phone over the internet, like support can do for you mac?

Matt

2. TyShawn macrumors 6502

They can, they send you a text to click a link that give them that info.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

In the past I just ask apple in the live chat support to do it just incase I don't get the result I want in the store. Saves time. Just sayin.

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Your experience is why Apple will continue to sell Iphones ( and other products) at a high rate. To have the ability to bring your phone in and get it fixed is really, really important. Samsung and the others don't have that yet.

5. okwhatev macrumors 6502

It's too bad Apple doesn't offer at least a 2 year warranty for a $650 device. Even hard drive manufactures with far greater fail rates than Apple devices have offer 3 year warranties. I'll still never get the 1 year warranty if Apple truly believes in their quality.

6. john500y2k macrumors member

Not if you live in the eu. By law apple provides 2 years manufacturer warranty in the eu.

5 years in Scotland and 6 years in the rest of the UK.

Source: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

I had to read it over and over as I was shocked it is 6 years in the UK. It does make AppleCare (not AppleCare+) a very cheeky product as according to their policy it is not needed in the UK.

Batteries will probably not be under that policy as they degrade anyways in relation to time and charge cycles.

7. Gav2k, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Uk isn't really 6 years tho it's 1. The 6 year policy is to do with existing faults.

Edit just looked into it and yes your right but you have to prove your not at fault though, but up to 2 years is covered as uk is part of the eu. Good to know!!

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That is what AppleCare+is. I buy with Amex and they extent manufactures warranty by a year.

9. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

most of them you can just pop the back off and put a new battery in. but other problems you are right, you have to find a third party to repair your phone.

10. joeynym macrumors member

same ****... u think they have Apple techs @ the store for more complicated issues... I don't think so... they send it out...